 Off-Topic / Debate / 26678
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:55:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
I found the subject quote hysterically funny. YMMV...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1548&ncid=1548&e=1&u=/afp/20050327/lf_afp/uspoliticsreligion

It's toward the bottom of that story.

Ha! Reminds me of the poll I heard wherein some majority of people found Kerry
to be more intelligent, but W to be more trustworthy. In effect, it showed that
there were lots of people out there who preferred someone who was trustworthy to
someone who was intelligent.

Not that I particularly care about the whole creationist/evolution debate apart
from the fact that teaching Jewish/Christian creationism *should* open the door
for other theories as well, with equal basis in fact. I'd enjoy a good laugh to
see them presenting "the world is on a turtle's back" theory (or whatever)
alongside Genesis.

Not that I think it's much of a big deal either way. Teach 'em both for all I
care. That's what I got in school-- it's just that everyone in the class
including the teacher acknowledged the fact that the only reason we were
learning about creationism was because she was legally obligated to teach it.
Let them choose which theory to believe.

This attitude is, unfortunately, exactly at the heart of the problem.  It is
abhorrent that anyone suggests that the mythology of Creationism (under whatever
label) should be taught alongside a scientific theory so thoroughly confirmed
that no actual scientist has reason to doubt it.  This isn't dogma; if
sufficient contradictory evidence were presented against evolution, it would be
abandoned in favor of this new, more correct understanding.

If Creationism is a legitimate scientific theory, then the correct way to
establish its place in science curricula is to subject Creationism to
independent peer review among educated scientists; if the theories of this
mythology are sound, then they will stand on their own merits alongside
evolution.  It is a gross disservice to science, to education, and to faith if
we all Creationism to be forced into science classrooms, even if a huge majority
of well-meaning but ignorant citizens wish it to be there.

Science is not a pick-and-choose proposition, and even to frame the issue as
choosing “which theory to believe” is to demonstrate a catastrophic
misunderstanding.

I’m saddened that this regressive and ignorant debacle is taking place in a
school district in my own state.  It’s bad enough when it happens in Kansas or
Alabama, but when it strikes to close to home (or in Ohio, which is also close),
I become particularly irate about it.

Dave!