 Off-Topic / Debate / 26696
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:35:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

<snip>

   I guess I sort of find it sad that there’s some negative connotations forming about being “educated” or “intelligent”.

Merely because a person knows a lot about quantum mechanics or is an expert on pottery from the Ming Dynasty doesn’t make them any wiser than an old hayseed from Tennessee. I mean, wasn’t that the whole message in The Beverly Hillbillies? ....and Green Acres....and The Andy Griffith show...and Mayberry RFD... and Gomer Pyle... and... what was the message in Petticoat Junction??

   “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”

I guess that’s right-- without that fear, there might be no impetus to understand reality.

I hadn’t thought if it quite in that way. I believe it means more like: when one acknowledges and respects the Creator, one is in a better position to understand and comprehend their part in His creation.

JOHN