 Off-Topic / Debate / 26721
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:11:44 GMT

   See, here is the crux of the issue for me: science has the temerity to assume that it will ever come close to understanding that which is impossible to understand. Its tools are useless to solve the mystery of creation.

I’m not sure I agree. If we found a dynamic systems model of the universe which predicted the future (and the past) with ridiculous accuracy, and used it to backtrack in time, I think it could effectively prove evolution to be accurate or not. Heck, we might even be able to validate the Bible itself.

Let’s say our hypothetical model is so accurate that it predicts the past 500-million years to the point where a T-Rex dies in the EXACT spot in the model where we can validate that we *actually* found it in today. Further, it shows the locations of where other fossils are that we didn’t even know about, where we can dig them up and effectively show that the model was completely right.

We could rewind the model, and actually *see* evolution in progress (assuming it happened). Further, we could even see how the Bible was written. Did a burning bush actually transcribe the Old Testament to Moses? Or did some guys write down some stories that they knew, and compile them into a document? We could even trace (painstakingly) the origin of those stories and see how they started. Were they based on factual observations? Were they embellished? Totally made up?

The idea of the model is theoretically possible, the more we learn about physics and chemistry. And it’s nowhere close to existing. In fact, I think chaos theory explicitly proves that such a tool couldn’t ever be 100% perfect. But it could be close.

Or (another method), let’s say we could capture light from the opposite side of the galaxy, and watch what happened here on Earth? Same deal.

What you’re correct about, however, is spiritual understanding. Morality, afterlife, wisdom, God, etc. That we can’t prove with science.

What I’m always at a loss at, though, is why creationists really care all that much about evolution. So what if evolution is right? Does it have any bearing whatsoever on wisdom or morality? How would evolution devalue Christianity, apart from where Christianity has made claims about the empirical world? In effect, I would really prefer it if Christianity made no claims whatsoever about history or physics or astronomy or whatever, and just stuck to the metaphysical. Then there’s no *possible* conflict with science, and everyone can be happy.

   I love this:

Bruce H. Margon, chairman of the astronomy department at the University of Washington, told the New York Times, “It’s a fairly embarrassing situation to admit that we can’t find 90 percent of the universe”. This problem has scientists scrambling to try and find where and what this dark matter is. “What it is, is any body’s guess,” adds Dr. Margon. “Mother Nature is having a double laugh. She’s hidden most of the matter in the universe, and hidden it in a form that can’t be seen”.

Actually, science is taking ridiculous leaps and bounds forward. How far have we come in the past 50 years? The past 100? How long ago did we even know that dark matter existed? Sadly, I think humanity is just rather impatient. “You’ve had 30 years, why haven’t you figured out the answer yet?” Etc.

DaveE