 Off-Topic / Debate / 26690
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:19:17 GMT

   To be fair, you did say “I guess that’s right,” without disclaiming a whole lot of wiggle room. I can accept your more elaborate articuation below, but I hope you can see that my response wasn’t inappropriate given your initially apparent endorsement of the contested statement!

Well, my initial response was something a bit more argumentative. But when I started thinking about it, I realized there were some interpretations of the statement that I found I agreed with. So I erased my 2 paragraphs and wound up with a more “Yeah, I guess that’s right” sort of statement.

   Now that I’ve thought of it, I think that the phrase is intended to signify that all knowledge (which is to say, all knowledge that we glean through experience, experiment, and observation) is subordinate to the raw Fear of God. That sounds to me like a “don’t ask because I said so” sort of deal.

That was similar to my original interpretation. And my reply sort of went on about how knowledge is really derived from one’s own self, not indirectly from fear or faith. Stupid room-for-interpretation, not letting me argue vehemently. Arguing is so much more fun :)

DaveE