 Off-Topic / Debate / 26751
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:51:55 GMT

   And I would agree with the above--which God and such--all great questions.

That said, the main agruement from the ‘science camp’ is that there can be no God because there is no proof that God exists.

Well, to expand upon the thoughts of the ‘science camp’ (which, if we wanna use isms, is Mechanistic Naturalism) - we can use Occam’s Razor to cut away every explanation except the most simplistic.

There is no supernatural diety, the entire universe follows physical laws at all times and in all places. From what I’ve heard from various religions, this statement is easily the simplest available. And altho Occam’s Razor isn’t proof per se, it does place the burden of proof on the more complex ideas.

   You stated earlier that there are certain things that science is ill-equipped to answer due to the existence of things ‘outside of’ science.

I just state that for those that believe, let that be God.

I also think my history in o.t-d shows that I do not equate God and science. That said, don’t pretend that those that do believe that there is a God (no matter what flavour) are somehow less ‘intellectual’ than those that leave all matters in the purview of science.

Well, I wouldn’t qualify theists as less intellectual than atheists, since I am a theist. However, I think it is important for theists to properly understand the critique of theism by Naturalism.

Also, since this thread is about creationists trying to force Scientific Creationism into scientific textbooks - my comments were more aimed to that sort of mindset. Not directed at you in particular - as I haven’t read but maybe a small percentage of OTD.

-Lenny