 Off-Topic / Debate / 26680
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:10:08 GMT

   I found the subject quote hysterically funny. YMMV...

story

I think what the person meant was that we are being attacked by the intelligensia, the secular “educated” elite, and I think he is right on. There is a culture war going on in our country.

I likewise suspect that Mummert was making an attempt at irony, and the fact that he also happened to frame the issue correctly is more ironic still.

The culture war, in this context, is a tiny and radical fringe that wishes to impose a primitive, pre-Enlightenment doctrine versus those who wish to embrace scientific progress and increased understanding.

   Heh, what I find hysterical is the thought of “educated” people finding this hysterical. It’s all about the blind men and the elephant.

But Mummert (et al) is feeling the tree trunk and assuming an Infinite and Divine Creator Elephant, while Rehm (et al) is saying “hey, according to one survey this feels like a tree trunk--let’s see if other surveys confirm or contradict this analysis.”

   “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”

Why would any good parent would want his children to fear him? Wanting them to respect him, sure. But to fear him? Such a desire strikes me as unworthy of an omnibenevolent entity.

Dave!