 Marketplace / Shopping / 11322
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:52:49 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.lego.direct, Terry Prosper wrote:
   In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee wrote:

Let me flame you nontheless.

Well, these days I pretty much knew that was coming.

   I’m disgusted by the attitude of TLG in this issue. For the first time in my LEGO life, I’m considering boycotting your products.

For what it’s worth, it would be a shame for you to give up your hobby over this issue alone. That’s completely your right to do, of course. I’d hate to see you give up the hobby. (And no, not just because I’m a money-grubbing corporate lackey... but because I’m a member of the fan community too, and I hate to see anyone leave!)

Jake
---
First, I’ll say this is not a flame at Terry. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and if nothing else, he’s letting it be known. Now, having said that, I have to side with Jake. He has been taking heat for this the entire time, even though I’ll bet he has little if any input about the change. Jake, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I support your efforts 100%, and I applaud you for taking the heat when I’m not sure you should. I’ve spent 15 years in the customer support business and it’s always the front line troops that get shot at. I’m glad you wear your flak jacket.

Now, as for TLC attempting to make money, I hope they are. They are a business, and unless a business is non-profit, they should try to make money. This is why they changed the color in the first place. If they decide to make more runs in the future, I’ll buy more then. If not, I’ll use what I have currently.

Now here’s the funny part. I just finished reading a book called “50 years of Play”. For those unfamiliar with it, it’s a book TLC released internally in 1982 to celebrate 50 years of Lego being Lego. The book goes into a lot of detail about how the company got where it did and how the Christiansen family made things work. They started out making wooden toys that were immensely popular. They survived 2 fires that destroyed workshops during the first few decades. They decided after the second one to skip the wooden toys and concentrate solely on the “Lego System of Play” (what is now the Lego toy we know and (sometimes) love. I’ll bet there were a lot of people pissed off about that decision to change, but the company kept going. Next, Lego introduced the “Scale-model line” in the early 1960s AS AN ATTEMPT TO PLACE LEGO BRICKS IN AN ADULT CONTEXT. Guess what. It failed, but Lego plunged ahead and Modulex was introduced. Lego continued to move forward. (Look closely at the irony of this. TLC has tried to cater to the adults before and failed. I don’t blame them for being gun-shy).

Lego in the recent past has tried a few other ventures that failed; Galidor and Znap. But they tried because they (as a company) have to look to the future. They have to take calculated risks. They also have to listen to the sound of reason. Many people were wondering what happened to the basic building kits of old that sparked such imagination. Enter the Designer kits. People wanted a chance to get old kits that they saw but couldn’t buy anymore. Enter the Legend and Classis series. Now I agree that the Legend series as it’s called is not a complete re-issue of the old kits, both because of color and part substitution, but who cares. I think it’s better to release an old kit under a new number with a few changes so my kids can play with the kit and enjoy it. And I promise you, my boys are both Lego purists, but they could care less about the color issue. They just want more Lego bricks to play with and want to own kits kind of like the ones dad still has assembled from the good old days (especially the Pirate stuff).

Now this part I’m a little shaky on, but I *believe* that Kjeld is going back into the captain’s chair in Billund to help bring Lego back to what it used to be. If that is the case, and he is half the man he’s described as in the book, then Lego is well on it’s way to continuing a streak of excellence that in my humble opinion is still one of the most impressive in ANY manufacturing industry. And I defy anyone to show me a MegaBlok or Bestlock kit that’s better quality than a Lego kit.

I have tried my damndest to stay out of this whole line of discussion because it is very political to me and cuts into my play time, but I’m finally breaking down and jumping in. I hope I don’t spiral down in flames when all is said and done.

Oh well, back to my building. :-)