 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5974
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:58:21 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Findley wrote:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Gregory Muri wrote:
Lego as a company could satisfy me easily.
Change back to the original grey and brown colors and move on.

At this point, how exactly is that change back an *easy* thing?

Changing back would mean that LEGO management would have to admit the decision
was wrong in the first place.  This won't happen unless sales drop off badly.
This won't happen because most LEGO is bought for kids and it's not likely that
this group will care much about the color change.  The only reason Coke admitted
that it screwed up with New Coke is because sales suffered badly and their
competition was taking over their former "loyal" custmers.

And just for the record, I think that Jake deserves a lot of credit.  If he
were smart he would quit Lego and find a job with a company that has even a
slight clue what their customers really want.

Given that he loves LEGO and this is his dream job, where would you have him go?
MegaBlocks? Hasbro?

I'm not sure I see things as easy as you do.

The LEGO clones are pathetic.  Why would anyone as obviously caring as Jake work
for a company who's business plan is to sell cheap knock-offs to unsuspecting
adults?  Informed adults won't buy MegaBlocks.  They know better.

Incorrect. On a scale of 1 to 10, four years ago Lego was a 10 and Mega Bloks
was a 3. Today Lego is a 9 and Mega Bloks is a 7.5. So while Lego is still
superior, Mega Bloks have in fact become a viable alternative in a quality
versus quantity debate. (the occasional defective Mega Bloks part is offset by
the several extras each set has to compensate for this.) While I have a strong
brand preference to Lego, I have purchased some of the modern navy Mega Bloks
Pro Builder sets as well as some of the newer (within the last year or so) Mega
Bloks fig packs. (Remember when Lego used to sell those.) As Lego has
discontinued the one color I will never have enough of (standard gray) and I am
forced to start all over with a new grey, I am seriously considering simply
going with Mega Bloks. I'd rather buy Lego, but they are making increasingly
difficult. It is my perception that for every step Lego Direct manages to get
the company to take in the right direction, they go two steps in the wrong
direction. For right now I am simply going to wait, play with what I already
have, and hope Jake manages to knock some sense into the upper management at
Lego.

-Mike Petrucelli