 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5887
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:43:33 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Terry Prosper wrote:
   In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee wrote:
   Now before anyone flames me or the color change, I know this isn’t a solution to the color change. I know it’s a band-aid. All that aside, hopefully this is a small thing that you will find some amount of benefit in.

Let me flame you nontheless.

Well, these days I pretty much knew that was coming.

   No, it’s not a band-aid. It’s the proof that LEGO knows that the AFOL community is unhappy and it’s a shameless attempt to shut us down (up?). It’s also a shameless attempt at making more cash as these bulk packs are in limited numbers, so I suspect that they will go very fast and then, you will probably announce that due to the success of the sale, LEGO has decided to produce more, and so on, until in 2005 or 2006, LEGO gets tired of us and decides to go back to the non-ugly colors or stay the same, forcing us to find alternative solutions.

Since I’m the one that beg, borrowed, and pleaded to make this happen, I’ll take the heat for the decision. It wasn’t a shameless attempt to do anything but deliver to the fans something that might help this situation.

This can be spun however you like, and the negative connotation you use is certainly an option. I’m in a lose-lose situation on this one though, as I’m sure that no matter what I’m going to be in hot water with you. After all, if we don’t produce more bags after the first run, you’ll be mad that we didn’t keep production going when there was clearly a demand. If we do decide that they sold well enough to release more (not an option as far as I know), then it’s a “shameless” attempt to make money.

I’m a huge optimist, so I don’t see this as “proof that LEGO knows that the AFOL community is unhappy and it’s a shameless attempt to shut us down”, as much as I see it as proof that LEGO has been changing its view of the AFOL community... and when there was an issue raised, LEGO reacted as quickly as they could to deliver a solution (albeit a band-aid).

   I’m disgusted by the attitude of TLG in this issue. For the first time in my LEGO life, I’m considering boycotting your products.

For what it’s worth, it would be a shame for you to give up your hobby over this issue alone. That’s completely your right to do, of course. I’d hate to see you give up the hobby. (And no, not just because I’m a money-grubbing corporate lackey... but because I’m a member of the fan community too, and I hate to see anyone leave!)

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison