 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5912
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Morton wrote:
Um, okay - let me see if I've got this right...

Lego makes the decision to change some core colors - result is the AFOL
community is up in arms; boycotts threatened, tales of AFOL's in toy stores
telling parents not to buy Lego as they're not 'compatible' with the old
bricks, even one report of someone wanting to firebomb Lego headquarters
(although I think that may have been on FBTB and not here - not sure)
People flame Jake and threaten not to buy any more Lego

I didn't flame Jake personnally.  I voiced my anger at TLG.  Jake works for TLG.  I know he is trying to help us.  He's on "our" side.  Still, I can't be satisfied with the band-aid.  It's  nothing to me.   10 000 bags?  what's that for the whole planet?  Virtually nothing.  Enough, though, to have some people jumping to conclusions that TLG listened to what we said.

Jake jumps in as soon as he can after the problem comes to light, informs
everyone that the decision was based on a variety of facts, the colors
probably won't change back and starts a thread asking for peoples opinions
on the color issue so he can pass them on to headquarters....
People flame Jake and threaten not to buy any more Lego

Again, people, AFAIK, didn't flame Jake personnally, but TLG.  And not TLG as a
whole, but rather the decision itself.

Jake announces at BrickFest that he has managed to get a last chance run of
classic gray and brown items produced and these now appear for ordering at
S@H....
People flame Jake and threaten not to buy any more Lego

Wasn't there.  Didn't hear about that.  I assume it's the same thing as before.
TLG, not Jake (although I can't know for sure)...

I don't get it. I understand the complaints about the color change, but then
to complain that Lego have listened to AFOLS and produced a limited run of
parts in the old colors and refuse to buy them...??

They didn't listen to us.  They loose money year after year.  Then they make a
whole part of their market unhappy with a useless decision.  Forget the factors,
the group tests and so on.  It's a bad decision.  It's obvious for me and for
many others.  They should simply correct it and I'd move on.  I still love the
product after all.

Imagine for one moment that we are running the Lego company. You've been
fielding complaints about the new color from AFOL's and decide to produce a
limited run of parts in the old colors, only to find that they're not
selling very well because AFOL's have boycotted them... Would YOU listen to
any further feedback, complaints, opinions or suggestions from AFOL's? Would
you take the color issue seriously? I don't think I would.

If I ask for a product to be distributed as before and a company sends me a
little sample telling me it's all I'm gonna get, I don't consider the said
company listened to me.  I consider that the company ignored me and simply
wanted me to shut up.

As a salesman, I would certainly make a bigger effort to satisfy a long-time
client that is unhappy with a product that has been recently changed more than a
new client that doesn't complain and buys anything since it's new.  The point is
not to pass crap onto that new client, it's about satisfying old and faithful
clients that helped you through the years.  Now, if that's too much too ask...

Sometimes I think Jake has one of the coolest jobs there is, but then I look
at all the grief that comes his way and say 'no way would I do that job' to
myself . He's damned no matter what he does and really can't win.
My biggest fear is that Lego realise that they can't do anything right for
AFOL's and decide not to listen to us anymore. Can you imagine what being an
AFOL would be like without the Jake's and Kates of this world?

Whaa???  Jake may work for TLG and he may help us and everything, it doesn't
mean we have to agree with him on everything.  I don't agree with his optimism
on this issue.  He sees it as a good thing to have at least a last chance to get
old color parts, I see it as an attempt by TLG to silence us.  We may be a
smaller market than the children for TLG, but we are the connaisseurs.  We are
the ones voicing our opinions the most.  If TLG doesn't listen to us, they won't
listen to anyone.

I'm not trying to belittle the color issue - I know that for many people it
is a real problem. Nor am I aiming this at you specifically Terry.
I'm just getting a little sick of only reading about what's wrong with
Lego's support of us and hardly ever what's right.

Hey, I don't take it personnally, even if some AFOLs are trying hard to bash ME
in the process.  I'm often on the bad side of debates here, simply because I
tend to refuse to be treated unfairly.  I see this issue as a way to make
ourselves clear on what we think is best.  WE ARE THE BIGGEST TEST GROUP THEY
CAN HAVE.  If they don't listen to us, they might as well put blinders, ear
plugs and run as fast as they can towards a brick wall, because they are not
going to win more clients and make better sales by loosing a part of their
market on a stupid decision they refuse to correct.

On the other hand, you are right on one thing.  TLG usually has an outstanding
approach on the after-sales service.  I couldn't say how much I appreciate the
kindness of the people at TLG when I have a small problem with a set and they
correct it without asking for proof of purchase or anything.  I appreciate that
a lot.  They truly have great service.  But the color issue sucks big time.

Richard (currently donning his flame proof suit and standing by with the
fire extingusher!)

Terry (already flamed to the bones)