 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5950
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:42:07 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
I think the point was missed. Basic bricks and plates will be easy to come
by in the old colors for some time via various places -- the fact that we
can't get any of the new non-basic parts is what the problem truly is. For
example, I got all of the new x-pod sets and love them.... all but one thing
and that is a pretty major thing. The new colors look bad and Lego KNOWS it.

Yes, it was missed by the people who have the authority to make the decision
that really counts, and the specifics about how that decision was announced
pretty much suggest that they figure it's not such a big deal and it'll blow
over in short order.  This was set up by people who did not miss the point, and
do not have the authority to repeal the color change.  This is also a way to
speak to the bottom line.  If the old-color packs sell fast, and the new-color
packs sit and rot, it will send the clearest message AFOLs can send; that it's
not about the set design, the price points, or anything else but screwing up the
colors.  If you stop buying 2004 sets, they'll probably think it's because you
don't like the set design, but when two bulk packs of "identical" parts sell
with drastically different popularity levels, there is no set design involved to
blame it on.