 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5930
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:06:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Gregory Muri wrote:
Remember new Coke?  A company can certainly make a mistake, those that
deserve to survive are the ones that can admit it and correct it.
Unfortunately, I am confident that Lego is not a company like that.

You seem to forget that Coke had real competition (Pepsi).  If it weren't for
lots of pissed-off people abandoning the Coke brand, Coke could have gotten away
with the switch.  The fact is that a viable alternative did exist, and former
"loyal" Coke customers became Pepsi customers.

Unfortunately, there is no viable alternative to LEGO.  AFOL's know how terrible
LEGO clones really are.  The only reason the clones sell is because stupid
parents (and other relatives) buy the cheaper (inferior) product for kids.  Sane
adults generally avoid the clones.

And I seriously doubt that adults buying for kids will switch to clones over
something as trivial as colors.  If their kids notice the color change, the kids
are also smart enough to realize how terrible the clones are.

Jeff