 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5935
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Gregory Muri wrote:
You seem to forget that Coke had real competition (Pepsi).  If it weren't for
lots of pissed-off people abandoning the Coke brand, Coke could have gotten away
with the switch.  The fact is that a viable alternative did exist, and former
"loyal" Coke customers became Pepsi customers.

I didn't forget, that wasn't the point I was making.  The point was that
Coke accepted the mistake and changed it back.  Why they did it is
completely irrelevant.  It was just an example that a company, one that is a
hell of a lot bigger than Lego, can do something like that.

Unfortunately, there is no viable alternative to LEGO.  AFOL's know how terrible
LEGO clones really are.  The only reason the clones sell is because stupid
parents (and other relatives) buy the cheaper (inferior) product for kids. Sane
adults generally avoid the clones.

Actually I couldn't disagree with you more on this one Jeff.  There is most
certainly an alternative for some AFOL's.  Don't buy any more Lego products
until such time as the problem is corrected.  I have to say that this is
getting easier and easier to accept each day that goes by.  Besides, with
the garbage that Lego is releasing this year, there isn't much to choose
from anyway.

Greg

Comment on the clones. KB, TRU, Kroger, and however man more stores that sell
Lego. They all put the megablocks near or mixed in with the Lego sets. No wonder
parents are confused. Can you blame them. They see the set and the color or
image of the set sparks catches the eye. So TLC is changing the colors. Big
deal. We all have to move forward. Here is an example. the group U2

Every CD they try something new. Just like TOTO, 38 Special, Def Leppard. They
all try something different. If it works it is great. If it doesn't then they go
back to what works for them. TLC is doing what works for them. Making sets that
are enjoyable for all ages and hands. Colors are not the issue. It is pure
business. My nephew likes colors. So I buy him colorful sets. As he gets older
and hopefully becomes a maniac he will buy or recieve diffferent sets. For right
now the colors work for me. I like the new colors.

Lets face it. For us the true builders we don't need the color to show what we
are doing. We need the blocks to show what we are doing. ABSTRACT COLORS! People
get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do things in different colors. Look
at that famous picture of Lennon. It is the same picture in four different
colors. How many times has that beeen redone? People just want to see something
bright. We as builders want to see creativity. Any one can build a castle.
However how many can build a castle the way the castle builders do on
brickshelf.

I know I can't. I build big bases that take up huge amounts of bricks, plates,
and time. I enjoy what I do and don't mind if a grey brick is light, dark, or
medium grey.

As the great Dennis Miller has said," that is my opinion and I may be wrong"

Larry