 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5922
5921  |  5923
Subject:
The TLC Dinosaur problem: big body, little brain, never learned to steer.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:07:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jake McKee wrote:
Well, these days I pretty much knew that was coming.
Well, anything else would have been a miracle, wouldn't it?

I'm a huge optimist, so I don't see this as "proof that LEGO knows that the AFOL
community is unhappy and it’s a shameless attempt to shut us down", as much as I
see it as proof that LEGO has been changing its view of the AFOL community...
and when there was an issue raised, LEGO reacted as quickly as they could to
deliver a solution (albeit a band-aid).
Wow. "A quickly as they could". You are telling us that it takes that
many months of Time To Market for a simple bulk pack? TLC really has the
dinosaur problem.

For what it's worth, it would be a shame for you to give up your hobby over this
issue alone. That's completely your right to do, of course. I'd hate to see you
give up the hobby. (And no, not just because I'm a money-grubbing corporate
lackey... but because I'm a member of the fan community too, and I hate to see
anyone leave!)
I, too, consider giving up (did I hear a cheer?). But this is not about
the change of a product, it is solely about trust. A trust that was
gained over thirty years, and burned within a few months for no gain at
all (again, how many sets did TLC sell more because of the change to a
"more vivid" grey?).

Most of the time, it is better to milk a cow instead of having the meat.
Then there are the times when taking the cow to the block is the only
way to survive, and this is ok, too. But TLC killed the cow and let the
corpse rot in the sun for no reason at all.

I really love my hobby, and it would be hard to give it up, but I prefer
my hobby to be creative fun, and not the daily need to beat some brains
into an untrustworthy supplier with a stubborn and stupid management
that neither knows nor cares for their customers.

Yours, Christian Treczoks