 Marketplace / Shopping / 11304
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:18:26 GMT

"Terry Prosper" <t@rotule.qc.ca> wrote in message
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee wrote:
Now before anyone flames me or the color change, I know this isn't a • solution
to the color change. I know it's a band-aid. All that aside, hopefully • this
is a small thing that you will find some amount of benefit in.

Let me flame you nontheless.  No, it's not a band-aid.  It's the proof • that LEGO
knows that the AFOL community is unhappy and it's a shameless attempt to • shut us
down (up?).  It's also a shameless attempt at making more cash as these • bulk
packs are in limited numbers, so I suspect that they will go very fast and • then,
you will probably announce that due to the success of the sale, LEGO has • decided
to produce more, and so on, until in 2005 or 2006, LEGO gets tired of us • and
decides to go back to the non-ugly colors or stay the same, forcing us to • find
alternative solutions.

I'm disgusted by the attitude of TLG in this issue.  For the first time in • my
LEGO life, I'm considering boycotting your products.

I'm pissed off real bad.

Terry

Um, okay - let me see if I've got this right...

Lego makes the decision to change some core colors - result is the AFOL
community is up in arms; boycotts threatened, tales of AFOL's in toy stores
telling parents not to buy Lego as they're not 'compatible' with the old
bricks, even one report of someone wanting to firebomb Lego headquarters
(although I think that may have been on FBTB and not here - not sure)
People flame Jake and threaten not to buy any more Lego

Jake jumps in as soon as he can after the problem comes to light, informs
everyone that the decision was based on a variety of facts, the colors
probably won't change back and starts a thread asking for peoples opinions
on the color issue so he can pass them on to headquarters....
People flame Jake and threaten not to buy any more Lego

Jake announces at BrickFest that he has managed to get a last chance run of
classic gray and brown items produced and these now appear for ordering at
S@H....
People flame Jake and threaten not to buy any more Lego

I don't get it. I understand the complaints about the color change, but then
to complain that Lego have listened to AFOLS and produced a limited run of
parts in the old colors and refuse to buy them...??

Imagine for one moment that we are running the Lego company. You've been
fielding complaints about the new color from AFOL's and decide to produce a
limited run of parts in the old colors, only to find that they're not
selling very well because AFOL's have boycotted them... Would YOU listen to
any further feedback, complaints, opinions or suggestions from AFOL's? Would
you take the color issue seriously? I don't think I would.

Sometimes I think Jake has one of the coolest jobs there is, but then I look
at all the grief that comes his way and say 'no way would I do that job' to
myself . He's damned no matter what he does and really can't win.
My biggest fear is that Lego realise that they can't do anything right for
AFOL's and decide not to listen to us anymore. Can you imagine what being an
AFOL would be like without the Jake's and Kates of this world?

I'm not trying to belittle the color issue - I know that for many people it
is a real problem. Nor am I aiming this at you specifically Terry.
I'm just getting a little sick of only reading about what's wrong with
Lego's support of us and hardly ever what's right.

Richard (currently donning his flame proof suit and standing by with the
fire extingusher!)