 Local / United Kingdom / 3884
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 22:32:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jason Briscoe writes:
This can't be right?

I have done nearly 20,000 miles since May 99 and there is no way that its
cost me £20,000. The car was only 19,500 last may when I bought it, Its had
two services one at 10 and 20K (both included in purchase price). Current
value is approx 14K, diesel costs at approx 40mpg = 20,000/40 = 500 gallons
which is approx £2400,  insurance 2yrs at £500 equates to a grand total of
£8400 which is around 43p per mile!

You've done 20000 miles in a year, which is a _lot_. I've only done
30000 miles in 3 years - and that was including a period when I was
going out with someone who lived 230 miles away which meant a lot
of motorway driving. Diesel means you get more miles to the gallon, and
2 years insurance for £500 for a car of that value sounds extremely
cheap to me. I pay £220 a year for a car valued at about £1000 and
younger friends of mine get quoted a lot more than that.  On the
other hand I'm not sure I quite believe diesel costs £4.80 a gallon,
(£2400/500).

If you'd say done 10000 miles using petrol at 30mpg, put in a more
realistic £3.50/gallon, and don't change
anything else in your calculation your total cost would come to 77p/mile
- a lot nearer the £1/mile mark

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com