 Local / United Kingdom / 3887
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 09:08:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Jason Briscoe writes:
Someone told me that a new car cost £1 a mile to run.
This can't be right?

I have done nearly 20,000 miles since May 99 and there is no way that its
cost me £20,000. The car was only 19,500 last may when I bought it, Its had
two services one at 10 and 20K (both included in purchase price). Current
value is approx 14K, diesel costs at approx 40mpg = 20,000/40 = 500 gallons
which is approx £2400,  insurance 2yrs at £500 equates to a grand total of
£8400 which is around 43p per mile!

You are forgetting the biggest cost, depreciation!

Ignore my last post. I must have eye problem this morning. You did include
depreciation.

Look in the back of What Car and it shows the running cost per mile assuming 3
years ownership with 10,000 miles per car. The More expensive the car then
obviously the more it costs per mile due to cost of purchasing and
depreciation.

The taxman allows 69p for a 2litre+ car for expenses. Which is probably a
reasonable allowance.

Well I do about 4000 miles a year on my bike, and it must cost me less than 10p
per mile(including clothing etc). Most days it is quicker, and every day it is
stress free. What's more, when I go on holiday - I can take it in the plane
with me :-)

Scott A

regards
lawrence