 Local / United Kingdom / 3894
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 00:39:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jason Briscoe writes:
Scott writes:

Partly agreed, but used cars are out when your employer finances 90% of it • for
you! Similarly depreciation is not so much of afcator when its not your money!
I also must add that I quoted car as 19K when list price was 23K, but thats
haggling with the dealer for you. I always find giving then a few hundred cash
in their own personal pocket works wonders!

All this talk about £1 a mile has to be put in perspective - if you regularly
carry passengers the alternatives are more expensive (tube, trains, buses,
trams) in most domestic situations. I drive about 35,000 per year in a car and
do about 1/1000th of that on public transport. I'm not proud of this, I'd
rather use an efficient train service but it costs too much ion the UK unless
you are travelling alone.

However, Candy own Hoover, after they went bust in the Uk due to there free
flights to the USA fiasco! I would agree Hoover machines are appalling!!! also
I'm surprised by Candy as when I was in appliance servicing a few years ago,
Candy were to be frank crap, so they must have improved there build quality!

Of course, like cars, Which is partially based on no machines sold, so pro
rata figures on reliabilty are skewed.

And likewise TOP GEAR surveys also reflect disdain from owners of boring
everyday cars (familiarity breeds contempt) and suprising satisfaction from
odd-balls ("I've bought a Subaru Impreza GLXiSS4WDturbo16Vi so I'm going to
tell the world how wonderful it is")

I would always recommend a hotpoint, even if they are less reliable than
certain machines as they are easy to repair and parts are readily available.

Yes, you can even get a replacement motor by dismantling a car (guess which
one anybody?)

By far and way the best machines are Miele and Bosch but they are at the Rolls
royce end.

BTW does anyone have a Sony TV, my last one (replaced last year) gave 15yrs
trouble free service then it died!

Nope, but I have a Contec model bought in 1982 for £180. It's hammered every
day (kid's videos) and is till in perfect order.

Regards,

Jason