 Local / United Kingdom / 3934
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 00:33:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:

For many people it is not a case of "rather" it is more a case of "have • to". I
work beside people who drive less than a mile of work, even on bright sunny
days they'd rather drive than take a lazy walk through the countryside (I
workon a "greenfield" site). I suppose those people would rather drive.

Scott A

Similarly, I will never cease to be amazed at some of my neighbours who drive
their kids 1/2 mile to the local school. The best excuse I heard is they
havent got time to walk their kids to school as they have to get to the • sports
centre to do a keep fit class.

I read a survey on this - the real reason is that parents do not think it is
safe to let their kids walk as there are too many cars on the road. Chicken
or egg?

I live near a private school, evey morning the congestion caused by mothers
(mostly) dropping the kids of in their "off roaders" is shocking - roll on the
summer holidays.

Scott A

regards
lawrence

There is a time and a place for everything, and using the car for these really
short journeys is just plain daft and unhealthy both for a child's confidence
and of course their fat content.

Personally, I chuck my kids on the bus (they WALK to the bus stop) but many
mothers who do drive their offspring 'safely' to school do so because they
have to immediatly move on to another engagement (job, gym, trainspotting
etc.). So this half mile journey is really a quick stop one half a mile into a
3 or even 4 mile long round-trip.

We (UK and US) are going to breed a nation of insecure and paranoid teenagers
if this goes on much longer. I remember being taught how to cross the road
when I was a little angel, but I understand this skill is now redundant - not
my personal credo, but I suppose it depends where you live.

For the ultimate conclusion of not using ones legs, read some science fiction
stories such as 'The Machine' (I think that's the title). Scary!

Jon