 Local / United Kingdom / 3918
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 22:31:52 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Robinson writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:

Even so, Jonathan's 35000 miles adds up to a lot of time. If we assume an
optimistic average speed of 60mph, 35000 miles will take him a mighty 583.3
hours - or 24 days and seven hours. How many books could he have read in that
time?

Or for people who are self-employed or work in jobs where you can
do reading/computing type work at home - how much work could you have
done in that time - and how much is that worth financially? (even
after deducting time to walk or drive to a convenient station)

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

Yes, it adds up to a lot of time but it can be spent to one's advantage (radio
shows, 'learn a language' CDs, phone calls (hands and brains free), eating
burgers (it can be done), typing (not recomended because the daylight reflects
off the laptop screen), freely breaking wind and of course, picking ones nose.
You also have the opportunity to burn away your little personal area of ozone.

Sorry - I've been away for a couple of days (in the car) an have racked up
another 1000 odd miles. Time and motion studies are of course valid when
in 'bean-counting' mode but if your time really is precious there is no
substitute for the convenience of door-to-door travel at any time, if you
really need to go somewhere. By the way, I avoid travelling in rush hours but
I realise not everyone can do this.

Jon

Ps - it costs me less if I do more miles but that does not affect my argument -
look at the number of people out there who would rather take their cars.