 Local / United Kingdom / 3889
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 10:04:40 GMT

Scott writes:

No. Like lego, you should look out for good quality used items. Use a Which
guide to find which car is the most reliable and suits your needs. Then buy
that one. The problem with cars is that buyers too often choose one which
makes a "statement" about them - all it is to me is a tool.

Partly agreed, but used cars are out when your employer finances 90% of it for
you! Similarly depreciation is not so much of afcator when its not your money!
I also must add that I quoted car as 19K when list price was 23K, but thats
haggling with the dealer for you. I always find giving then a few hundred cash
in their own personal pocket works wonders!

Most good libraries stock Which guides. We used them to pick our last two
cars.

Again agreed, and as a which user myself, I consulted it before buying last
year. It stated that it was best in class, and a low depreciator. They
suggested 2.3L petrol opposed to the diesel. However based on MPG and my
mileage I opted for diesel. They stated that reliability was good, some
electrical niggles but generally owners pleased. I would concur with this!

Anyone who is even think about buying a washing machine should also consult a
Which guide.

Again agreed.

It predicted, for us 5 or 6 years ago, that a specific Candy model
would be the most reliable (Hoover & Hotpoint were the worst). At £230 the
Candy was the cheapest in the shop - but has never had a problem yet (touch
wood). In buying an item based of reliability & function, it means one does
not have to worry about extended warranties etc.

However, Candy own Hoover, after they went bust in the Uk due to there free
flights to the USA fiasco! I would agree Hoover machines are appalling!!! also
I'm surprised by Candy as when I was in appliance servicing a few years ago,
Candy were to be frank crap, so they must have improved there build quality!

Of course, like cars, Which is partially based on no machines sold, so pro
rata figures on reliabilty are skewed.

I would always recommend a hotpoint, even if they are less reliable than
certain machines as they are easy to repair and parts are readily available.

By far and way the best machines are Miele and Bosch but they are at the Rolls
royce end.

BTW does anyone have a Sony TV, my last one (replaced last year) gave 15yrs
trouble free service then it died!

Regards,

Jason