 Local / United Kingdom / 3817
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 08:26:21 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jon D. Hayward writes:
I wouldn't like to think so, but we're all aware that UK prices for
everything are higher in general than anywhere else :-( anyone got any ideas
why? It's not taxes 'cos we only (!) pay 17.5% VAT...

I have my own theory. Its not retailers and manufacturers that are to blame.
Its the shoppers. As long as we seem willing to pay their price, why on earth
should they sell it for any less. They are commercial organisations after all.
I read a report somewhere that prices were lower in other countries simply
because the shoppers were much more likely to complain and/or haggle over
prices. Retailers simply couldnt get away with the markup UK retailers enjoy.

I find negotiating with the shopkepper, even the manager of a national chain
can yield quite good results. And I always do a little comparison shopping for
the best price then go into whatever retailer is close/convenient/has stock
and ask them to price match.

The English seem to be always whining an complaining about price, but simply
dont do anything about it. Its in your own hands, if you dont like the price,
dont buy it.

Lawrence: none of this is aimed at you or anyone else. I fully agree that if
you can get something cheaper elsewhere then so be it.

Perhaps the point is though: you can go to Tesco and get your 8001 for £16,
or at worst get it at TRU for £20, but is your local shop friendly? Do they
help locate items you want? From their point of view, are you [1] the reason
they're in business or are you just another face who interrupts them while
they're busy chatting amongst themselves?

I realise it wasnt posted at anyone in particular. And I just enjoy a good
debate. As I said in my other post "support your local shop", if I had one I
would. And as friendly and helpful as they might be I cant bring myself to pay
over the odds

Busy Bee provide us a service, and I know that if I ask for a particular
set, they'll do their best to find one. If you're lucky, your local shop
might call TLC HO, but give up once they're told that the set is no longer
available. BB and their LEGO rep. actually hunt out old stock from other
shops. How often can you visit or phone a shop, and the person serving you
say "I understand what you're buying... I also have XYZ in the stock room to
complement it" or "This is the stock available to us. What do you think we
should get in?" [2] ?!?

I dont disagree on supporting a shop who can help find difficult to locate
sets. But I cant justify subsidising them on the regular sets that I can get
at Tesco down the road for 20% less

regards
lawrence