 Local / United Kingdom / 3888
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 09:24:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jason Briscoe writes:

69p a mile? Steptoe and Son managed it on less.

Someone told me that a new car cost £1 a mile to run.

Carbon 60

This can't be right?

I have done nearly 20,000 miles since May 99 and there is no way that its
cost me £20,000. The car was only 19,500 last may when I bought it, Its had
two services one at 10 and 20K (both included in purchase price). Current
value is approx 14K,

5.5K in one year - crazy

diesel costs at approx 40mpg = 20,000/40 = 500 gallons
which is approx £2400,  insurance 2yrs at £500 equates to a grand total of
£8400 which is around 43p per mile!

Of course the trick is like lego, never pay full price for you car! and
barter with the dealer to get freebies like servicing and extended warranty.

No. Like lego, you should look out for good quality used items. Use a Which
guide to find which car is the most reliable and suits your needs. Then buy
that one. The problem with cars is that buyers too often choose one which makes
a "statement" about them - all it is to me is a tool.

Most good libraries stock Which guides. We used them to pick our last two cars.
Anyone who is even think about buying a washing machine should also consult a
Which guide. It predicted, for us 5 or 6 years ago, that a specific Candy model
would be the most reliable (Hoover & Hotpoint were the worst). At £230 the
Candy was the cheapest in the shop - but has never had a problem yet (touch
wood). In buying an item based of reliability & function, it means one does not
have to worry about extended warranties etc.

Scott A

Regards,

jason