 Local / United Kingdom / 3912
Re: Busy Bee goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:34:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jonathan Reynolds writes:
All this talk about £1 a mile has to be put in perspective - if you regularly
carry passengers the alternatives are more expensive (tube, trains, buses,
trams) in most domestic situations. I drive about 35,000 per year in a car and
do about 1/1000th of that on public transport. I'm not proud of this, I'd
rather use an efficient train service but it costs too much ion the UK unless
you are travelling alone.

Again this depends on the total cost of the journey and taking into
consideration the true pence per mile rate, not just petrol.

Even ignoring the true pence per mile rate, my family of four can go into
London at weekends much cheaper on the train than just the cost of petrol and
parking alone. I live about 45 miles away. Costs say 3 gallons with some city
traffic, say £10 petrol. Then around £18 parking. Plus and tube fares.
Whereas it costs us about £15 for the four of us using my Network card (1/3rd
off plus kids travel for £1) which also give unlimited tube travel too.
London might be an exception, But even more local Reading costs me at least a
gallon of petrol plus £1.50-2.00 per hour depending on car park, whereas all 4
of us go in on the train for £6.00 and can stay all day.

Of course travelling in the rush hour is totally different, and I could
probably buy a second hand car for the price the train would charge 4 of us
then. It would be around £55, whereas the car would still cost the same as
weekends.

regards
lawrence