 LEGO Company / 98
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 16:50:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ashley Glennon writes:

Case in point:
"Juniorization." I can tell you right now that kids have told the Company
that they have less time to build and want things that are faster to build,
therefore the Company has created what you call "Juniorized" sets.  [The
very fact that I mentioned this is likely to solicit a mile long response
which we will not likely be able to respond to(which brings me to the next
point).]

Does this make any sense? Why would you want to make a product that a kid can
be done with in 5 minutes and then forget about? Wouldn't you want kids to
spend a lot of time with your product, so they become attached to it (like I
did when I was a kid)? This has been said before by other people here, but I'll
repeat it: LEGO is destroying its fan base by making bad sets. There will be a
lot less AFOLs coming out of my 7 yr. old brother's generation then there were
out of mine (I'm 20).

Just a little anecdotal evidence: my little brother wanted the Star Wars sets
long before I got him to watch any of the movies. To this day, the only sets he
owns are SW. I think LEGO is selling kids short by assuming they don't want
quality sets.

The whole point of LEGO is that you can do so many things with it besides just
build the model. When you reduce the piece count and make the pieces less
functional, LEGO stops being a building system, and becomes just another toy
that requires some assembly. LEGO has (or used to) a special appeal to parents
because it is educational and encourages play instead of just consumerism.

I am just sick sometimes because I wonder if LEGO will be around for my kids.
Please don't squander all of the devotion and goodwill that LEGO has built up
with generations of kids (who became AFOLs) by turning LEGO into another shoddy
toy. Thanks for listening.
-Marc