 LEGO Company / 110
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 17:20:30 GMT

[snip]

I was wondering, reading those two paragraphs...
1) LEGO asks kids what they want and 2) LEGO is apparently listening to us
too... so how big is the adult market share? I mean ofcourse I understand
that LEGO is mainly a toy and children are their 'real' target audience, but
if it's worth listening to AFOLs comments then I guess the AFOL market is
also valuable. Perhaps it is time for LEGO to realise that they did well
enough in the past that yesterday's kids are still that much attached to the
product today and turned into AFOLs...

So, any guesses about how big the AFOL market is? Does LEGO have marketing
data on that, or have they never thought of adults as their target audience?

I ofter wonder about that myself.

First... I tried, in a VERY unscientific way, to determine for myself what
percentage of the Lego market we represent.  Personally I spend about
$5000-$8000 on Lego each year.  If we multiply that by the number of Lugnet
members (say 1000) then we only get to around $8,000,000 in total.   This
revenue number, although large, is less that 1% of the revenue Lego had last
year (1.1 billion as I recall)... and let's not forget that we pay more than
wholesale. Interesting.

Second... as Lugnet enthusiasts we are *perhaps* a poor representation of
the general public... and are certainly a small portion of that public.  Why
do I suggest poor... well I would hazard a guess that we have extremely
different Lego buying habits than joe public would... even when buying for
our kids.

Third... for all of the concern we have (myself certainly as one) over the
trend to *non-standard* Lego models, it is interesting that the Lego Soccer
theme is winning the most awards.  Certainly it is one of the most
*non-standard* is it not.

There are many reasons why Lego should listen to us and our requests...
perhaps there are also a couple of reasons why they should not.

Just my 2 cents worth,
- Jeff