 LEGO Company / 96
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 16:02:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ashley Glennon writes:
Dear LEGO fans,

The LEGO Company IS listening.

And acted on that too.  We noticed the bulk sets, UCS and scrupture sets.

Case in point:
"Juniorization." I can tell you right now that kids have told the Company
that they have less time to build and want things that are faster to build,
therefore the Company has created what you call "Juniorized" sets.

But does that let you sell more sets?  The only benefit I can see is the
reduction of minimum age from 5 to 4.  By that reason Playmobile should be
doing very well.  They are still good toys but I don't see them penetrating
into Walmart or occupying more shelf space.  Kids select toys that looks cool,
and parents buy them base on price, safety, educational value etc.  Easy to
build is usually not that important.  To one of my co-worker, the big selling
point of LEGO to him is he can be involved, unlike video games.  If a Star Wars
set is a little too complicated for his 5 years old son, he can help and spend
time with him.  That is one of your selling point over video games, and may be
you guys should give some thought about that.

By checking out my precious 1982 to 1985 catalogues, right before I entered
the dark age, I can still tell you which set gave me the "yawn" feeling when I
was a kid.  744, the biggest set I had as a kid, was a disappointment.  The
motor was way too big and underpowered to be useful.  The car base of 6629
(http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4212.gif), one of the oldest JR piece, was another
bad piece for me.  To me big chunky pieces would keep me from selecting a set
since 20 years ago.

I know a five years old kid with more than 5000 pieces of LEGO, most of them
came from garage sales.  Guess which new set he is bugging his parent to buy?
The super complex 8002 Destroyer Droid, because it looks cool.  His mom may buy
it and hide it until he is old enough, or ask me to build it for him.  The
stuff he build himself are mostly using smaller pieces, while the big ugly
light&sound engine from 6454 is left alone untouched.  You get bored with those
big pieces in a minute.

[...]many of our co-workers choose not to
respond fearing that it is not appropriate for them to be a voice of the
Company.

Hay at least you guys don't need to do field support.  We software designers
are asked to be very careful with the mouth at a customer site.  Can't promise
anything to them even for a easy fix.