 LEGO Company / 103
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 21:16:21 GMT

Brilliant Summary of how I feel too - well said!

Jon

In lugnet.lego, Santosh Bhat writes:
Well said Paul,

I'd have to agree with everything you've said. Lego have reacted to competition
of other toys that provide "quick" fun in an attempt to keep their share of the
market. But they should also realise that these quick toys offer nothing that
the Lego company values, such as playability or education. They merely provide
short term profits for those companies. Consider the Tamagotchi craze for
example (or the current Pokemon fad), do these toys truely provide any benefit
to children other than teaching them to be suckers to marketing?

If Lego wishes to remain an educational fun toy, AND maintain business, they
should stick to what they've always been doing, beccause they're good at it.
And that is making decent sets, with decent pieces.

Bring back the old style sets, the city, the pirates, TRAINS!! (how well do
decent trains do!). If Lego wishes to capture the short term market, then make
these "quick" sets in addition to a steady line of themes, afterall it is the
longer term themes, that bring in the longer term income to Lego.

I'm sure there's plenty of other comments people have to make, and chances are
they'll all be on common topics. Lego doesn't have to respond to them all, but
at least be aware of what we're saying. If enough people know what the public
wants, maybe the people who make the decisions can be swayed.

Hope this helps.
Santosh
In lugnet.lego, Paul Rutenberg writes:
Hello
Nice to know somebody is at least reading these. For your explanation for
Juniorization, i cannot except that, i spend too much time in the stores
searching for OLD Lego to think that, who are the ones buying these overpriced
Junior city sets, not the kids, but Grandma and Grandpa trying to find good
presents for thier Grandchildren, remembering the great times thier kids had
with Lego from the 60's, 70's and early 80's, they don't spend time looking at
what consumers on the net say about your product, i have a 9 year old daughter
who prefers to build with my 60's Lego then for me to buy her new city stuff, • i
must add the Mickeymouse sets she thinks are great since she loves fabuland.
What do i see kids in the store buying themselves? Star wars!!, are these sets
you would call quick and easy to build?? not me, they are the only thing right
now offered by you that has mutiple uses, and can be built into many different
things, interesting shapes and new colors, you don't even have city in the
new Lego 2001 catalog, am i to reason that you accept that these arn't selling
very good?
Don't forget we are the buyers of Lego, we are the ones working all day to • make
the money so our kids can have it, we are also the ones spending megabucks on
old Lego sets, not because we are nostalgic, but because what you offer today,
sorry to say, stinks, you've let Lego trains go down the drain, Pirates are
also dead (and Playmobil are selling Pirate ships by the dozens here in • germany
every day before Xmas), City has disappeard, much to expensive expert models
are being offered, what happened, nobody can think of a nice old car or such
for Model Team anymore?? offer me a 57 Chevy or a 55 Ford Pick-up,  i would be
the first one in the store buying one, and try to keep it under $50-70.
No i believe you guys are missing the long term markets, using the movies and
books that are selling right now is ok, but short term.
Thanks for listening, looking forward to things getting beter and hoping for
it.
Paul
Germany