 LEGO Company / 123
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 23:39:18 GMT

Ashley thank you very much for your reply.  I realize that it is very hard
in todays economy to respond about a company's business and marketing in an
open forum.  I am a product manager and am currently employed by an internet
security company and occasionaly find myself in the hot seat.  Just doing
the old job though.

I did want to add for all those LEGO fans out there that the job of every
LEGO employee is to, more or less, sell plastic bricks.  The toy market is a
very competive one and competeing for shelf space is also a big task.  If
the kids don't buy it (or their parents, grandparents, yadda-yadda), then
the store won't stock it.

I have to say that I have noticed several LEGO employees piping on on
occasion (did marketing approve that? :-) ) and I think thats a wonderful thing.

Now my points:

1) You (and others) talk about "Juniorization" and I admit lifestyles have
changed in the 25 or so years I have owned LEGO.  I remember having LEGO and
working out the "problem" of putting it together.  In fact my father and I
spent much time working on putting LEGO together.  It was something that we
could do together, my father and I do not have much in common.  Call it what
you will (decline in family values <-- my poke) but I agree from a market
perspective that "Juniorization" is necessay to sell these products to the
target market space.  Which brings me to my second point.

2) If we (the older bunch) want to have LEGO listen to us, we need to work
with them to minimize the cost to LEGO.  Why?  Lets say plastic bricks is a
3 billion US dollar market.  If we represent a $30 million US dollar market
we are only 1% of the market space, not the 99% that any good CEO would go
after.  So what can WE do to help LEGO?

3) You (Ashley) stated that "Although there are many LEGO employees like
myself who review these comments, the guidelines are not clear as to who
should be the official voice for such questions."  Well, find out who is it
(or should be), tell everyone (make his/her job really fun!) and have them
active in doing, ahem, "market research". <very-big-grin>

4) Pardon the question but for those of us who don't know who is Brad?  Just
asking...

-----
Jason Whittenburg
http://jason.newsgeeks.com