 LEGO Company / 112
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:14:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jeff Shiner writes:
I ofter wonder about that myself.

First... I tried, in a VERY unscientific way, to determine for myself what
percentage of the Lego market we represent.  Personally I spend about
$5000-$8000 on Lego each year.  If we multiply that by the number of Lugnet
members (say 1000) then we only get to around $8,000,000 in total.   This
revenue number, although large, is less that 1% of the revenue Lego had last
year (1.1 billion as I recall)... and let's not forget that we pay more than
wholesale. Interesting.

[ some simple math calculations about to go totally off the deep end ]
If TLC has an annual revenue of $1.1B, and somewhere I recall that wholesale on
TLC product is about 60% of retail, then that represents about $1.833B at MSRP.
Then I will use a annecdotal number of 10-cents per piece. My goodness, that
means that TLC made somewhere north of 18 Billion pieces last year. I wonder why
I never find many of those at yard sales <g> There must be alot of closets and
attics full of Lego pcs. A quick back-of-the-napkin calculation shows that all
the pieces on BrickBay represent only 0.002% of TLCs production last year.

Second... as Lugnet enthusiasts we are *perhaps* a poor representation of
the general public... and are certainly a small portion of that public.  Why
do I suggest poor... well I would hazard a guess that we have extremely
different Lego buying habits than joe public would... even when buying for
our kids.

I don't think I would call the Lugnet AFOLs a 'poor' representation, just a
small *vocal* tip of the iceberg.

The membership of lugnet spans a wide age group. We represent many
demographics. I believe that TLC markets primarily to the younger demographics,
probably ages 16 and below. My own experience (grassroots in a college town),
tells me that the interest in Lego products is more broad spectrum than the
primary targeted demographics I mentioned above. Most of the venues that TLC
sells through are targeted to these same demographics (but not exclusively).

So, the quandry seems to be, how do you address the needs of your mass target
audience, while responding to the desires of the AFOL community ?

<snip>

Ray Sanders
numero 124