 General / 49712
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:23:28 GMT

In lugnet.color, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
In lugnet.color, Mark Chan wrote:
One of the most disappointing decisions Lego made this past year is changing
its gray, dark gray and brown colors after 20 years.

There is a factual error here.  Dark grey and brown have not been around for
20 years.

You probably want to annex the letter with a detailed description of which
colours have changed, with a photo, or even real parts, as an example
if you want.  Better that whoever handles the letter knows *exactly*
what you're talking about rather than just some nebulous complaint that
the colours have somehow changed.  While including pieces presents some
mailing difficulties, it's much more effective to have the actual parts
right there in front of them.  And the unspoken message it carries is that
you are unhappy enough with this issue that you did not hesitate to send
parts back to the company.

Great points. Facts=Good. Pictures=best way to represent color facts. Actual
parts are even better than pictures. We'll have to think of some way to
incorporate your idea above. (Kind of like "Exhibit #1" at a court trial - I
like it) I think someone on LUGNET has posted some great before/after shots. Any
volunteers for the picture?

Also agree that the letter needs to represent *exact* facts. I don't claim to
know them all, but I'm willing to bet that LUGNET as a collective whole has them
all.

I would love it if everyone could please keep sending relevant facts/info to
this thread - with supporting documentation/proof.

You might also want to mention that new colours are welcome, it's the loss
of old colours that is disappointing.  Technically it could be argued, and
no doubt has been here by somebody, that the colour change really isn't a
colour *change*, but the creation of new colours and discontinuing some
old colours.  It's best you make clear exactly where your beef is, and
as necessary, where it isn't.

That ran through my mind as well. I personally "think" most AFOL would agree
with your comment that it's OK to bring the old color back as well as keeping
the new color - howver a LUGNET poll would factual verify that so we can ensure
the largest % of AFOL support.

Any volunteers for a poll? (Or point me to other info that has been done?) I
know I could take some time to search for these items, but I'd like to take
advantage of the "multi-processing" power of the many LUGNET readers.

Many people are attracted to your construction toy because Lego products have
represented the highest standards in quality and consistency for over 40
years.

Excellent point.

Thanks

Parents purchasing Lego do not just buy a box of bricks – they also buy into
the promise that today’s purchase will “always” work with Lego products from
40 years ago, or 40 years from now.

This one is okay, but like already mentioned by someone else, don't raise
this figurative promise concept into something that is the core of the letter,
since there really is no such promise.

Agreed. I responded to an earlier reply that this was a stretch.

Children playing with Lego bricks are not just stimulating creativity – they
also are learning the important values of consistancy, dependability and
reliability over a lifetime. They are learning the value of keeping a promise
– the Lego Promise. When these children grow into parents, the value of the
Lego Promise transfers to their children.

The lead sentence here is good..., certainly I also think of LEGO when
relating concepts such as consistency, etc.  But as mentioned, the rest of
this paragraph is just wandering away from the goal on a concept that
doesn't really exist.

Concur.

Lego has earned an excellent reputation by keeping its promises over
generations; however, the recent color change has betrayed your Promise and
tarnished your reputation.

Too evangelical.  Don't forget to button it up with three god-almighty's.  :]

How about 5? :-) (this one is coming out or will be toned done immensely)

Gray parts collected over time from various Lego sets should remain the same
color. Changing this is equally as wrong as having inconsistent shades of
gray within the same boxed set. Only a quality of material change, or a
change to the size of your basic brick, could be worse.

The second sentence makes a very strong point, from a very creative angle.
The brick-size point at the end is also good, but maybe lose the material
change example as LEGO has changed material techniques many many times over
the years, largely for the better.

I wasn't aware of the improved material change (well, know that you mention it,
it does seem to tickle something in the back of my mind). Thus, your last point
is very valid in light of that fact. Does anyone have specifics, or maybe one
detailed example? e.g. Lego changed from xyz plastic to ABS plastic in yr 19xx,
thus improving jkl. I just like to know what some of the supporting information
is. (Due diligence and all that)

The credibility of the Lego Promise – to never alter important things about
Lego – has been uncomfortably shaken. The Promise sounds especially hollow
when it is repeated after this unprecedented color change.

Lose it.

Gone in next draft.

Even worse, what happens to the credibility of a parent who has told his or
her child, “Lego is good because it will always work and stay the same”?

Meh, thin ice.  I'm not sure a child will chastise their parent for buying
them crap.  That comes later in life.  :]

Same as above (it's gone) - although the point I was trying to make was that the
"parent" would feel guilty by making statements that didn't hold up.

In our rapidly changing world, there is great comfort to both parent and
child to have a quality toy, a Promise and a stable company they can believe
and trust in.

Reverand?   ;]

That line was worth at least an arch-bishop :-)

Please return us to your previously unbroken record of consistency by making
the classic gray, dark gray and brown colors available again. Lego bricks
represent creativity, but they also represent a constancy that transcends
time – much like a parent’s constant love for his or her child.

<snip>

(Please feel free to comment constructively on what you like and/or question.

I hope my comments have been constructive.  I don't mean to trample on your
good efforts, these are just my opinions.  Good luck  :]

KDJ

Your comments have been very constructive. Thank you very much. Many of your
points were ones I had been self-critical on myself as it was being written, so
it's good to see someone else articulate some of the doubts I had (and you put
it into words very nicely).

I actually have internalized 3 different ways we could approach this so far (and
some new or hybrid ones will likely appear from our draft work), so hearing the
pros/cons of version 1 from various other people has been very helpful.

It's all about optimizing pros/cons to different approaches, and sharpening our
argument (once we agree on the salient points to emphasize). The rest is just
wording, grammar, tone, and of course, translation.

Mark