 Color / 671
Re: Customer petition?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:45:20 GMT

In lugnet.color, Daniel Jassim wrote:
   Hi Jake,

There was the suggestion of a petition to the company and someone mentioned petitioning parents. One thing that came to my mind is trying to collect signatures at or around the Legoland theme parks and Lego retail stores. I imagine that might give the petition added credibility. Anyway, one of my questions to you is how could or should someone go about petitioning customers of Legoland and Lego retail stores?

In general, I believe that petitions are supposed to be conducted on public property and permission must be obtained from the government.

I could be wrong but it was my understanding (as a former petitioner for the Libertarian Party) that if you are on public property, permission is not required. However, you can be asked to leave if you are disruptive (block pedestrian flow, harangue people, etc...) If you are on private property, permission is required, but it’s from the owner of the property, not the government.

   Beyond that, is there any information you could provide as far TLC’s policies for something like this? Do think TLC would have any interest in facilitating AFOL’s efforts to survey/petition fellow Lego customers/consumers? Or, given that this IS an effort to change a corporate decision, is TLC more inclined to block such efforts? Suggestions?

I think a number of people in TLC might be quite bemused by the request to petition. I would emphasize that it’s meant in good spirit. Still, if it were perceived as likely to cast TLC in a bad light, they might be inclined to say no. (the second order effect of the PR around it getting out they said no might be something to remind them of if they did indeed say no).

Structuring it in a way that didn’t disrupt operations of the store or park or whatever would be key in any proposal for permission, I would expect.

   Overall, I don’t know how successful a petition to a corporation would be but I guess it can’t hurt to try as long as it’s done right. Anyway, I appreciate all the work you’ve done so far and your willingness to do more.

Second that sentiment.