 Color / 681
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:39:48 GMT

In lugnet.color, Mark Chan wrote:
<snip>

Dear Lego,

One of the most disappointing decisions Lego made this past year is changing
its gray, dark gray and brown colors after 20 years.

Many people are attracted to your construction toy because Lego products have
represented the highest standards in quality and consistency for over 40
years.

Parents purchasing Lego do not just buy a box of bricks – they also buy into
the promise that today’s purchase will “always” work with Lego products from
40 years ago, or 40 years from now.

I don't think TLC ever made a promise like this.  I remember seeing in some
catalogs from the '80s that TLC promoted the fact the most elements were
interchangeable with one another, and that all the elements work together in a
system of play, but the color of the bricks really doesn't have anything to do
with that.

Children playing with Lego bricks are not just stimulating creativity – they
also are learning the important values of consistancy, dependability and
reliability over a lifetime. They are learning the value of keeping a promise
– the Lego Promise. When these children grow into parents, the value of the
Lego Promise transfers to their children.

I think the whole bit about "The Lego Promise" is something that should be left
out.  IMHO, TLC never promised to keep their elements compatible with what they
produced in the past.  The fact that there has been consistency is great, but I
don't think it should be labelled this way.

Lego has earned an excellent reputation by keeping its promises over
generations; however, the recent color change has betrayed your Promise and
tarnished your reputation.

Gray parts collected over time from various Lego sets should remain the same
color. Changing this is equally as wrong as having inconsistent shades of
gray within the same boxed set. Only a quality of material change, or a
change to the size of your basic brick, could be worse.

The credibility of the Lego Promise – to never alter important things about
Lego – has been uncomfortably shaken. The Promise sounds especially hollow
when it is repeated after this unprecedented color change.

Even worse, what happens to the credibility of a parent who has told his or
her child, “Lego is good because it will always work and stay the same”?

How many parents buy Lego for this reason?  And of those, how many tell their
children that is a good thing about the toy they are playing with.  At most,
parents may have fond memories of playing with Lego when they were children and
want their childrren to have a similar experience.  But parents realize the
product has changed dramatically.  I have heard parents say innumerable times
that when they were kids, Lego was just rectangular blocks (however untrue that
may be to the more knowledgable Lego fan).

In our rapidly changing world, there is great comfort to both parent and
child to have a quality toy, a Promise and a stable company they can believe
and trust in.

Please return us to your previously unbroken record of consistency by making
the classic gray, dark gray and brown colors available again. Lego bricks
represent creativity, but they also represent a constancy that transcends
time – much like a parent’s constant love for his or her child.

If Lego remains true to its original vision and Promise, it will remain
superior to other companies. It also will continue to have loyal, happy,
lifetime customers – and will achieve its goal of being “the best brand for
families with children.”

Sincerely,

*******

(Please feel free to comment constructively on what you like and/or question.
If you don't think the Color change is that big a deal, please don't bring
that up again here. This is only for the audience in LUGNET who does feel it
is important. I'm just trying to help that group out.)

I think this letter misses the point.  There is really only one sentence at the
top that expresses disappointment about the change and it is supported with only
talk of how this is a consistency problem.  It goes way too in depth about a
promise that the writer feels TLC made.  I would emphasize why this change
effects consumers and the product line more directly.  For instance, by writing
about how the new grays make white look.

Just my .02

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com