 Color / 645
644  |  646
Subject:
I'll take a stab at the letter!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:07:06 GMT

Hey all,

I would be willing to take a running jump at the letter.  I've already
composed one which I've yet to send to the company about this very issue,
but it's been sitting on my hard drive collecting dust for a couple of
reasons.  First of all, I wrote it just to collect my thoughts on the
situation and to get the words out on paper.  Secondly, I didn't feel that
it would do much good to send it because AFOL's are only a portion of TLG's
market and we cannot expect the company to always give our concerns top
priority (even though they've been doing a LOT of GREAT stuff lately!).
However, in the interest of being more optimistic than pessimistic about the
future of our chosen hobby, I'd be happy to dust off the letter and amend it
into a succint, positive request for the reinstatement of one of the primary
appeals of Lego as a building system:  backwards compatibility.  That is,
after all, why the color change affects us (AFOL's) so directly, isn't it?

However, I have a suggestion for something besides a petition.  I believe an
easier way would be to first agree upon a form letter that we can all sign,
then each person would print out the letter, sign it, and mail it
themselves.  This would have two great advantages:

1.  No waiting for AFOL events to get signatures (instead, copies of the
letter could be handed out to those not yet aware).

2.  Instead of one giant petition arriving in the mail, there could hundreds
(hopefully thousands!) of letters arriving in TLG's mailbox from every
corner of the globe.

While I don't really believe that even this many missives would persuade the
company to change the colors back, it may at least have some effect on the
company's view regarding AFOL's and the issues that concern us.  If Jake is
correct in saying that everyone he knows within the company recognizes our
perspective on the color change's nullification of backwards compatibility
(which would be the main point of the letter), then hopefully this mass
mailing (if it comes about) would communicate that to those in the higher
echelons.  If enough letters are actuallly sent then it could give them a
reason to consider carefully any such actions in the future and maybe even
ask us for feedback before they do anything else of major significance.

I'll try to have a first rough draft posted here by the end of next week.

David Simmons
xenobuzz@earthlink.net