 Color / 686
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:00:41 GMT

In lugnet.color, Mark Chan wrote:
One of the most disappointing decisions Lego made this past year is changing
its gray, dark gray and brown colors after 20 years.

There is a factual error here.  Dark grey and brown have not been around for
20 years.

You probably want to annex the letter with a detailed description of which
colours have changed, with a photo, or even real parts, as an example
if you want.  Better that whoever handles the letter knows *exactly*
what you're talking about rather than just some nebulous complaint that
the colours have somehow changed.  While including pieces presents some
mailing difficulties, it's much more effective to have the actual parts
right there in front of them.  And the unspoken message it carries is that
you are unhappy enough with this issue that you did not hesitate to send
parts back to the company.

You might also want to mention that new colours are welcome, it's the loss
of old colours that is disappointing.  Technically it could be argued, and
no doubt has been here by somebody, that the colour change really isn't a
colour *change*, but the creation of new colours and discontinuing some
old colours.  It's best you make clear exactly where your beef is, and
as necessary, where it isn't.

Many people are attracted to your construction toy because Lego products have
represented the highest standards in quality and consistency for over 40
years.

Excellent point.

Parents purchasing Lego do not just buy a box of bricks – they also buy into
the promise that today’s purchase will “always” work with Lego products from
40 years ago, or 40 years from now.

This one is okay, but like already mentioned by someone else, don't raise
this figurative promise concept into something that is the core of the letter,
since there really is no such promise.

Children playing with Lego bricks are not just stimulating creativity – they
also are learning the important values of consistancy, dependability and
reliability over a lifetime. They are learning the value of keeping a promise
– the Lego Promise. When these children grow into parents, the value of the
Lego Promise transfers to their children.

The lead sentence here is good..., certainly I also think of LEGO when
relating concepts such as consistency, etc.  But as mentioned, the rest of
this paragraph is just wandering away from the goal on a concept that
doesn't really exist.

Lego has earned an excellent reputation by keeping its promises over
generations; however, the recent color change has betrayed your Promise and
tarnished your reputation.

Too evangelical.  Don't forget to button it up with three god-almighty's.  :]

Gray parts collected over time from various Lego sets should remain the same
color. Changing this is equally as wrong as having inconsistent shades of
gray within the same boxed set. Only a quality of material change, or a
change to the size of your basic brick, could be worse.

The second sentence makes a very strong point, from a very creative angle.
The brick-size point at the end is also good, but maybe lose the material
change example as LEGO has changed material techniques many many times over
the years, largely for the better.

The credibility of the Lego Promise – to never alter important things about
Lego – has been uncomfortably shaken. The Promise sounds especially hollow
when it is repeated after this unprecedented color change.

Lose it.

Even worse, what happens to the credibility of a parent who has told his or
her child, “Lego is good because it will always work and stay the same”?

Meh, thin ice.  I'm not sure a child will chastise their parent for buying
them crap.  That comes later in life.  :]

In our rapidly changing world, there is great comfort to both parent and
child to have a quality toy, a Promise and a stable company they can believe
and trust in.

Reverand?   ;]

Please return us to your previously unbroken record of consistency by making
the classic gray, dark gray and brown colors available again. Lego bricks
represent creativity, but they also represent a constancy that transcends
time – much like a parent’s constant love for his or her child.

That love stuff sounds pretty lame, but I have German blood in me.  :]  The
key point made here is bringing back the old colours, but not necessarily
getting rid of the new shades.

If Lego remains true to its original vision and Promise, it will remain
superior to other companies. It also will continue to have loyal, happy,
lifetime customers – and will achieve its goal of being “the best brand for
families with children.”

This cements the character of the letter as very "karma-based", "change is
bad".  It needs more substance about the specific nature of the change,
the specific negative effects you believe it has had, and thence what you
specifically request be done.

(Please feel free to comment constructively on what you like and/or question.

I hope my comments have been constructive.  I don't mean to trample on your
good efforts, these are just my opinions.  Good luck  :]

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada