 Color / 687
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:22:11 GMT

In lugnet.color, Greg Hyland wrote:

Have you ever watched a child (10 and under) play with LEGO? Quite often the brick size and shape is way more important than the colour. Take a look at the “kid creations” in the LEGO Magazine. Things are made of all different colours put together. Most kids are never going to have huge quanities of bricks all in one colour, although I’m sure they wish they did, but they don’t let this stop them.

Actually, I 100% agree with you there (and did before I posted) - and the LEGO magazines I’ve seen for 10+ yrs proves your point. I agree that brick size and shape are MUCH more important (and hinted at that in the letter, so it didn’t appear we were hyper-ventilating about the color change, even though we are dismayed)

In addition, I thought I read in one of the LEGO books that LEGO themselves believe that the color is not important/primary to these young builders - who are the target audience. (I thought I had this book, but apparently not. IIRC it was near the picture of some person in a tribal African hut playing with some Lego bricks, and there was some other pictures of children’s models with haphazard color schemes)

This is why I think it has been hard to get LEGO to change the colors back - Lego doesn’t think color matters that much. I was trying to stretch a different point on consistency to include color, but I now think I’ve stretched that point too far, and it doesn’t seem to resonate.

   I don’t think this can be approached in a “your hurting the kids”/heart-strings kind of way. Bricks fitting together is what matters most to parents and kids, and the bricks still fit together, so LEGO still “works” and has stayed the same.

This issue has to be approached as a “we adults are upset and we spend a lot of money on your product” kind of issue.

-Greg

Thanks for the feedback, Greg. I debated that point myself. The possible (but not necessarily a “deal killer”) drawback to your suggestion on going at it from the upset adult standpoint is that:

1) The adults in question may not be “perceived” to spend enough money on Lego to really matter enough for the Lego company to switch back.

1a) Sub-note, I’ve read many, but by no means all, of the discussions on LUGNET trying to estimate the AFOL/LUGNET type influence on total Lego revenue. The highest realistic one I think I saw was in the 1-5% range, that’s including whatever influence we have at train shows, etc. I personally estimate it’s less than 1%. Has anyone made a very persuasive/supportable analysis as to how large this AFOL/LUGNET segment is?

2) Given 1 and 1a above, we have to find a way to change Lego’s perception so that our AFOL voice is valued, or else go for the “heart-strings approach” (which also has it’s own set of problems - many of which you and someone else have brought up - so I’m abandoning that one)

I’ll try another version with #2 above - going for the AFOL angle. This first draft was trying to work with a philosophy that Lego may relate to: that is, kids first - Note, this is the Lego philosophy as “I” understand Lego’s internal philosophy to be....I’m quite sure many others have keener insight into the Lego internal philosophy than mine. I’m just trying to frame things to the Lego Company world-view.

Also, if we can get the % range of our influence, and sell Lego on the rationale behind it, the letter will have a better chance.

Do you have any other suggestions on “why Lego should care” what the AFOL’s think about the color change?

Mark