 Color / 709
Re: Color change: Let's go straight to the CEO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:04:31 GMT

In lugnet.color, Mark Jordan wrote:
In lugnet.color, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
You're confusing the philosophy for a product line with the principles of a
company, and those are very different things.  It's more accurate to say:
"changing a 20-year-old core color goes against the philosophy of the LEGO
product".  I imagine the company's principles are quite intact, with profit
being a primary one.  They chose what they felt was the best decision for
their product line in order to respect that principle.  I doubt any of us
have real evidence that the net effects of that decision were poor.

TLC is what it is today (for better {and} worse) by having more than just
profit as a guiding principle. I am sure they made the change because they
seriously believed it was an improvement, and I don't see how the change
conflicts with their guiding principles.

I didn't say profit was their only principle, I said it was a primary one.

A company doesn't make changes just because they think it's an improvement.
That improvement has to cut costs or increase revenue (via increased
customer satisfaction thus increased sales volume and/or market share).
Money is always at the bottom line.  Changes cost money, initially.  Some
changes may pay back many times over what they cost.  LEGO wouldn't make a
change just for "improvement" if it didn't have a good business case.
They'd be idiots if they did.

I'll say it again:  LEGO can make all kinds of changes to the product
line(s), and still be true to their company principles.  You can accuse them
of altering a long-standing philosophy for the product, but you can't be sure
they've changed/ignored their company principles.  That's the point I was
trying to make.

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada