 Events / BrickWorld / 67
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:55:49 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Since I just asked this question about BrickFest PDX 2007...

Can the organizers of BrickWorld 2007 tell us who (if anyone) will be profiting from this year’s event?

I noticed this statement from a few months back:

None of the event or theme coordinators are making any money from BrickWorld. All funds that are collected, both registration fees and public admission, will go toward making BrickWorld a better event.

Is this statement still operative? If registration fees/public admission exceed expenses, where will the money go?

Marc Nelson Jr.

I have been informed by the event coordinators that BrickWorld is a for-profit event owned by Bryan Bonahoom and Adam Tucker, and that they would control any potential profits from the event.

The statement quoted above is apparently incorrect. I thank Bryan and Adam for providing the correct information.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Community -

We at Brickworld do not like the concept of this discussion so we have remained quiet pulicly. We responded privately to Mr. Nelson because he, and he alone, seemed to be asking a question. Nr. Nelson has chosen to take part of our private reponse and post it to a public forum.

His misstatements above indicate clearly that he does NOT understand how busniesses work. I would like to add a few general FACTS:

1) Just because an organization is NOT FOR PROFIT (NPO), doesn’t mean that the owners/organizers aren’t *profiting*. All it means is that the business entity doesn’t pay dividends to the owner(s). The owners could still be employed by the business and paid a regular salary or a bonus.

2) Just because an organization is FOR PROFIT doesn’t mean they are making any money at all - either pay or dividends.

3) Setting up and managing an NPO requires significantly more money be paid to the government, to attorneys and to accountants. A large purpose of forming an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) is just that. To limit the personal liability of the owners in case there is a major issue or lawsuit filed.

4) David Gregory’s statement was not incorrect - or we would have corrected it at the time it was posted.

5) Organizers of large AFOL events do it for the love of the brick, not the money. I make a lot of money with my day job and don’t need to profit from this. I wanted to give back to the community. This is the attitude of ALL the Brickworld Team. I am excited that the vast majority of the posts from the community have defended the event and tried to focus the energy on the event.

We have no intent to engage this thread further and we hope that the rest of you will put your passion for either attacking or defending “the cause” aside and simply let this die. I just wanted to set the facts straight.

As I told Mr. Nelson in the private email - continuing these threads only upsets people. And, this is not the purpose of having a forum on Lugnet. I feel badly that he was compelled to try and quote our private email publicly and hope that he considers this pain before he does it to anyone else in the future.

We hope to see you all at Brickworld. It will be a wonderful event!!!

Best Regards, Bryan