 Events / BrickWorld / 78
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:49:45 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, John Neal wrote:
   I’m just curious: what leads you to think that this type of information should be public knowledge? It’s as if you believe that fest organizers are somehow obligated to account for every penny to the GP, and AFOLs in particular. Do you suspect that such people are somehow ripping off AFOLs who attend?

And if they do make money off of an event, is that somehow a Bad Thing™?

Mostly, I think it comes down to community volunteers. Lots of people out there were viewing this purely from an attendee standpoint. And yes, from an attendee standpoint, who cares if the ‘fest is for-profit or not? If you get your money’s worth, it’s worth spending it!

But the problem creeps up on you when you start realizing that it’s NOT purely an attendee event. If you’re a volunteer, the situation is a bit different.

I’ve given this example before, so I’ll give it again, because I think it’s relevant. I volunteered to organize a Lego Game Show for BF’04. Great fun. And I wanted to have prizes. Question was, where should the money come from for those prizes? BrickFest or my pocket? If it’s a for-profit event, I would be much less likely to volunteer my own money. I might still do it, but odds are I won’t. BUT, if it’s a non-profit event, I’m actually far more likely to just front the cash myself.

The question comes down to whether the community should be contributing to the event, or whether everyone should just say “Ok BrickFest/BrickWorld, impress us without any community assistance”.

And it’s not really about numbers. I don’t really care that much if the answer is “profits go here” instead of “xxxx profits went here”. The question is mostly *where* the profits go, not how *much* goes there. Sure, it’s nice to know the numbers, but knowing the numbers probably won’t affect a decision to volunteer as much as knowing the destination.

DaveE

There is that--I mean, once being a member of Boy Scouts for many many years, I know that there was lots of coinage from my pocketbook that went to whatever event I was running/volunteered for and with nary a thought of reimburement.

Boy Scouts also allowed me to submit receipts for reimbursement--but for the most part I didn’t care.

Using the example of Boy Scouts--which is purely a true ‘non-profit’ and the idea that they will reimburse you for any monies you put in as a volunteer, I would completely expect that, unless explicitly stated otherwise, any monies that volunteers spend at a LEGO ‘fest to add to whatever they’re volunteering for (within reason, of course) should be able to be reimbursed by the organizers. I mean, isn’t that part of the ‘overall package’ of the event?

Now if a volunteer wants to give out an ISD as a prize for winning, that’s something a little different. Again, organisers *should* take these things into consideration when they run an event such as a LEGO fest and ask for volunteer support. And if they have, and the answer is ‘no refunds’, then that’s waht the volunteers are signing up for.

Again, these things require clarification. What doesn’t require any clarification is ‘are the organizers making money?’--that’s nonoe of our business. Our attendance should be based on whether we want to go or not based on what we get out of it--not what the organizers get out of it.

That’s my couple of coppers...

Dave K