 Events / BrickWorld / 79
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:54:17 GMT

At 11:15 AM 3/15/07, David Eaton wrote:
I've given this example before, so I'll give it again, because I think it's
relevant. I volunteered to organize a Lego Game Show for BF'04.
Great fun. And I
wanted to have prizes. Question was, where should the money come
from for those
prizes? BrickFest or my pocket? If it's a for-profit event, I would
be much less
likely to volunteer my own money. I might still do it, but odds are I won't.
BUT, if it's a non-profit event, I'm actually far more likely to
just front the
cash myself.

If you did this at Brickworld, and BW made money, from what they've
said (the quote Marc posted) they would offer to reimburse you for
the prize(s).

To me, one very important fact is that the organizers of BW have a
multi-year contract with the hotel.  What that means (to me) is that
they're not trying to "get in, make money, and get out".

If they bring in more money than they spend, then that money will be
used to make next year's event that much better.

If you don't want to donate prizes for the (fun) LEGO Game Show,
that's fine.  BW will most likely offer some prizes for you to
use.  And, the "profit" will be used to make those prizes
bigger.  How big?  Who knows.

Steve