 Events / BrickWorld / 106
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:52:15 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
   I think that this sort of information is VERY important when an event is soliciting the public for volunteers, especially if they are actually expecting people to volunteer their time and effort. The intention/purpose of the show is also very important to peoples decision making process.

snip

If it is meant to be mainly an AFOL event, then I personally do not have a problem paying a fairly high registration fee to participate. I do understand that the money has to come from somewhere.

snip

While organizers are not OBLIGATED to explain anything, I believe it is in their best interest to do so to avoid bad feelings. People will make assumptions based on the information that they have. If they can see 300 people registered, they know that is ~$18,000. If they are told public attendance was 5,000 for the weekend, they know that is ~$37,500 (asuming an even split of adults/children).

In the absence of any other information, this does seem like a LOT of money that is going somewhere. People that have never run a large event will not know that a large portion, if not all of it or more, of that will be eaten up by the venue, advertising, event kits, etc.

I am not sure what anyone else is looking for, but I would like to be assured that someone is not making money hand over fist on the backs of AFOLs who are generously willing to volunteer their time, effort and money. And I think it is in their best interest for the promotors to provide this assurance, it will increase their chances of getting more volunteers and donations.

Something as simple as “Money leftover after this years event will be used as start-up money for next years event” would go a long way in my book.

Troy

Troy,

Well stated! I concur completely.

Todd