 Events / BrickWorld / 94
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 06:31:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events.brickworld, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   Since I just asked this question about BrickFest PDX 2007...

Can the organizers of BrickWorld 2007 tell us who (if anyone) will be profiting from this year’s event?

I’m just curious: what leads you to think that this type of information should be public knowledge? It’s as if you believe that fest organizers are somehow obligated to account for every penny to the GP, and AFOLs in particular. Do you suspect that such people are somehow ripping off AFOLs who attend?

And if they do make money off of an event, is that somehow a Bad Thing™?

It seems to me that even by posing the question, it raises a question of impropriety; kinda like “when did you stop beating your wife?”

JOHN

I think that this sort of information is VERY important when an event is soliciting the public for volunteers, especially if they are actually expecting people to volunteer their time and effort. The intention/purpose of the show is also very important to peoples decision making process.

I will be the first to admin that I know very little about BrickWorld, as I just started looking into it tonight, when I came accross this thread. But looking at the schedule and seeing that it is open to the public for 7 hours on each of two days does cause me some concern.

My question would be, what is the purpose of the event? Is it meant to be an AFOL event where AFOLs gather to share their MOCs and socialize with each other (like the early years of BrickFest)? Or is it meant to be an event that caters to the paying public?

If it is meant to be mainly an AFOL event, then I personally do not have a problem paying a fairly high registration fee to participate. I do understand that the money has to come from somewhere.

If it is meant to be a public display, however, I would have issues being charged to come and display my stuff (granted I don’t display much, for the sake of this discussion lets pretend I am someone else that does). Especially if I am expected to be at my display during the public hours. That would be like having to pay someone to work for them.

We can use train shows as an example. People pay money to come see the layouts displayed. Vendors pay money to sell to the people that the displays attract. The displays DO NOT pay to be there to display. Although it may not be much, the displays are usually compensated in some way. Even if it is just free admission to the show, it is something.

On appearance, it appears that LEGO shows are going the route of charging the people that come to see the event, the vendors who sell at the event AND the people that display at the event. This does seem a bit unfair since the people that display are what are drawing the public in the first place.

I know that myself and Sava are NOT the only ones that feel this way. I heard many people grumbling about it at BrickFest last year, with the extended public hours compared to previous years.

If LEGO shows are going to continue with this formula, I believe it is VERY important that they make it clear what ADDITIONAL benefits attendees get from paying their fees. Are there enough events during the non-public hours for them to justify the expense? What incentive is there to pay the $60 registration fee instead of just paying $20 for two days public access?

While organizers are not OBLIGATED to explain anything, I believe it is in their best interest to do so to avoid bad feelings. People will make assumptions based on the information that they have. If they can see 300 people registered, they know that is ~$18,000. If they are told public attendance was 5,000 for the weekend, they know that is ~$37,500 (asuming an even split of adults/children).

In the absence of any other information, this does seem like a LOT of money that is going somewhere. People that have never run a large event will not know that a large portion, if not all of it or more, of that will be eaten up by the venue, advertising, event kits, etc.

I am not sure what anyone else is looking for, but I would like to be assured that someone is not making money hand over fist on the backs of AFOLs who are generously willing to volunteer their time, effort and money. And I think it is in their best interest for the promotors to provide this assurance, it will increase their chances of getting more volunteers and donations.

Something as simple as “Money leftover after this years event will be used as start-up money for next years event” would go a long way in my book.

Troy