 Events / BrickWorld / 86
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:16:58 GMT

The fact is the *DO* have to be upfront about it *IF* they want me to pay
money
to attend the event and how many MOCs they want me to bring.  I consider
any
AFOL bringing a MOC to a public event, where the public is charged
admission, a
'volunteer', and if an organization or the operators thereof will be
profiting
from said event without compensating 100% of the volunteers, then the best
they
can hope from me is for me to show up empty handed.

I don't think "bringing a MOC" is a valid argument for being a volunteer
unless you have a following of people who and pay to get into events purely
to see YOUR art.  Which YOU probably do since you're famous. ;)  I bring a
MOC for display and for judging in hopes that I get some recognition for my
labor of love.  If my MOC wins some competition, I usually get rewarded with
a prize that has some monetary value and bragging rights, which are IMO
priceless.  I also bring MOCS to attract the public and other AFOLs.  The
more attraction and the more money is brought in, the more door prizes and
other quirks can be distributed.  Maybe not in the Organizer's first year,
but more so in years after unless the organizer has financial backers or
some other means to pay upfront costs 9that's more of a gamble).

Being from an event organizer background, I don't mind registering and
paying upfront.  That lets the organizer(s) know about how many people to
expect for planning, and gives them a little upfront money for all the
hidden expenses like printing, design, deposits, etc, etc, etc.

I don't think that anyone would miss me if I were not to attend an event,
and I
don't expect anyone to change their views on the subject if I say I won't
go.
Just my personal opinion on the subject.

--Anthony

I'd be disappointed that you'd skip out on an event just becuase you weren't
making a buck at it.  If you want to make money at the event, register as a
seller and rent a table or booth to show your wares.  That's what I'm going
to do.

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net