 Events / BrickWorld / 108
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:18:05 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Since I just asked this question about BrickFest PDX 2007...

Can the organizers of BrickWorld 2007 tell us who (if anyone) will be profiting from this year’s event?

I noticed this statement from a few months back:

None of the event or theme coordinators are making any money from BrickWorld. All funds that are collected, both registration fees and public admission, will go toward making BrickWorld a better event.

Is this statement still operative? If registration fees/public admission exceed expenses, where will the money go?

I know I’m a little late to this discussion, but here I am. :)

It’s funny to be reading this discussion this week, as I was just discussing the same thread about a different subject last week. I’ve been doing quite a bit of conference speaking lately (especially last week), and the question of how people are compensated came up a number of times.

As many of you likely know, conferences can range from free type events to expensive events charging thousands of dollars of entrance fees, run by professional event management companies. (Ted has a 2008 discounted rate of $2,000!)

Each event handles the payment of speakers differently. BarCamps are more like a LEGO Train Club - people getting together as much for the social activity as the learning activity. When people “speak”, it’s about the goodness of sharing and payment doesn’t make any sense. There is no profit generated, really, based on the way the event is structured to be small and low-key and free.

But when you start looking at conferences where the entrance fee might be $1500, the dynamic changes. Some people volunteer to speak because it helps them build their own resume, while others have a great resume and simply need to be compensated for their time. While I used to accept most speaking engagements because they helped get attention for my new business, for instance, I’m starting to pull back and ask for compensation for my time. If the event isn’t willing to at least cover my costs for coming out, then I have to decide whether it’s interesting enough to pitch in. Sometimes I’m excited about helping the event grow, sometimes not.

Motivation and larger context of the event plays a HUGE role in the determination of whether I’m going to volunteer my own funds and time.

Last week I spoke at SXSW - a great event, nobody gets paid (as far as I know), it’s all volunteer. Registration cost is low, venue costs are high. I like the vibe of the conference, and I like the direction it’s going. I like sharing a stage with industry rockstars. They pump any leftover money from one year into making the next year an even better event. I happily volunteer to speak without any cost coverage.

Contrast that with the other event I spoke at last week - Community 2.0. This was an event created by people who clearly loved community and had a desire to have a great event. At the same time, it was also managed by a professional event company, brought in sponsors to help offset costs, and charged quite of bit of money for entrance. There was clearly a profit made, which is fine by me; I’m all for people getting compensated for their time. But I have no idea what happens to the leftover money, but I’m pretty sure that it gets distributed to the event company and then to their own employees.

Since I wanted to help out this first event, and since I’m still building my resume, so to speak, I didn’t ask for a speaker’s fee. I did, however, receive compensation for part of my travel. This seemed completely fair, considering that my speaking (along with a number of other people) is directly tied to why people showed up at the event in the first place. Without speakers, the event doesn’t happen. Sharing at least some of the profits with the very people that make the event possible seems completely reasonable.

(On a related side note, the other issue that comes up with conference speaking is the differences in payment - some speakers get a decent sized fee, while others get nothing. Not saying this is bad, necessarily, but without transparency, it tends to create negativity around the event)

The discussion being had here is an important one. Transparency is a crucial piece of future success of AFOL-powered events. If an event planner says “It’s none of your business where our money goes”, then that’s completely within their rights. They just have to expect that this will turn some people off of spending their own time, money, vacation/sick days to help out. Many people are willing to take time off work, for instance, to volunteer at the Red Cross, but I doubt many would volunteer to bag at Whole Foods.

As a community, we also have to respect each person’s decision to not participate in events they don’t like, as much as we respect an event organizer’s desire to share or not share their financials. Each person has to make a decision about where to best spend their time, and only the individual knows what’s best on that front.

This discussion is great to be having though. It’s a sign of a growing community. If you look back 7 or 8 years, we would have laughed at the idea that you COULD make money off of LEGO events!

/rambling off

Jake --- Jake McKee Private Citizen