 Events / BrickWorld / 105
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:32:17 GMT

Bryan,

Thank you for your post and informing the community of the intentions of your organization of BrickWorld 07. I have interspersed some comments among your points. Please read them carefully and in a positive frame of mind. They are not intended as negative or hurtful but as constructive comments.

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
   Community -

We at Brickworld do not like the concept of this discussion so we have remained quiet pulicly. We responded privately to Mr. Nelson because he, and he alone, seemed to be asking a question. Nr. Nelson has chosen to take part of our private reponse and post it to a public forum.

I appreciate your dislike for the concept of this discussion. I understand it. In a free society though we cannot always keep the conversation on the topic of our choice. I submit it is that very fact that makes us a better nation than most. I am sorry that you felt it necessary to respond privately to a public question. I support your right to do so, just as I support Marc’s right to share your private communication with him in resonse to what has been said and conjectured here.

   His misstatements above indicate clearly that he does NOT understand how busniesses work. I would like to add a few general FACTS:

That’s a little harsh, I believe. I do not know Marc well, I wish I did. My few interactions with him have led me to believe he is someone I would be friends with. He is funny and alright in general. For all you or I know, he could be a distinguished professor of business law well respected in his field. But, I respect your opinion, I assume your knowledge of Marc is as small as mine, and your right to make a judgement statement based on the information you have.

   1) Just because an organization is NOT FOR PROFIT (NPO), doesn’t mean that the owners/organizers aren’t *profiting*. All it means is that the business entity doesn’t pay dividends to the owner(s). The owners could still be employed by the business and paid a regular salary or a bonus.

Ah yes, the fundamental understanding of the term profit. Well, I am not a business major, but here is what I know from experience and searching the Internet (at reputable web sites). A non-profit may run a profit. That profit is restricted to a percentage of the income. When this percentage is exceeded, consistently, then the IRS takes most if not all of the profit.

Yes, there are employees and there are payments made. Boards govern NPO’s and there are liable and criminally held accountable for the profits. That doesn’t guarantee that money doesn’t go missing or is mis-appropriated. It happens all the time. That’s why there are criminal and civil penalties for such actions.

   2) Just because an organization is FOR PROFIT doesn’t mean they are making any money at all - either pay or dividends.

Yes, you are correct! Many businesses fail in their first year because they fail to account for the many places where income must be spent. The fundamental difference between NPO’s and for profit businesses though is that the money can go directly to the owners after all debts are paid. The owners are also liable for any civil and criminal actions taken by their company, and unless they are an LLC, then their private property can be leined upon to pay for civil and criminal penalties.

   3) Setting up and managing an NPO requires significantly more money be paid to the government, to attorneys and to accountants. A large purpose of forming an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) is just that. To limit the personal liability of the owners in case there is a major issue or lawsuit filed.

You are absolutely correct. Hopefully, the BrickWorld 07 proceeds will bring in the money you need to establish an LLC. This will help protect the “owners” from having their homes and cars and children’s education fund from being taken away from them when a civil or criminal penalty is assessed.

4) David Gregory’s statement was not incorrect - or we would have corrected it at the time it was posted.

5) Organizers of large AFOL events do it for the love of the brick, not the money. I make a lot of money with my day job and don’t need to profit from this. I wanted to give back to the community. This is the attitude of ALL the Brickworld Team. I am excited that the vast majority of the posts from the community have defended the event and tried to focus the energy on the event.

I am glad you are part of the AFOL community and hope you both hit a home run with your first organized event. I will be in attendance and cannot wait.

   We have no intent to engage this thread further and we hope that the rest of you will put your passion for either attacking or defending “the cause” aside and simply let this die. I just wanted to set the facts straight.

Thanks for doing so, but I am sad you do not feel, in light of your statement above, to keep the community knowlegable about your intentions.

   As I told Mr. Nelson in the private email - continuing these threads only upsets people. And, this is not the purpose of having a forum on Lugnet. I feel badly that he was compelled to try and quote our private email publicly and hope that he considers this pain before he does it to anyone else in the future.

I am sorry if Marc caused either of you pain. I really wish you had left this last statement off your post. First, the surest way to guarantee that something continues is to try to ban it. Everytime a group speaks out about a movie or a music album sales, which were flat or not moving in either direction, take off almost guaranteeing record sales. Also, if we didn’t post things that might upset people then there would be very little said in LUGNET. (You must have missed that whole new grey - old grey thing).

   We hope to see you all at Brickworld. It will be a wonderful event!!!

Best Regards, Bryan

Certainly, you are close to the BrickWorld event. Heck, your organizing it. So maybe it is a little hard to take a step back and look at the question Marc posed from another’s perspective.

You might not be aware of a past event, who’s name will remain nameless, that left several of the AFOL’s without payment for services rendered. It also left the for profit businesses involved, the hotel and convention center, without payment for the services rendered there. This left a black mark on the community and has resulted in no events being held there since.

I trust you both not to repeat that sequence of events that might jeopardize the ability of AFOLs in the future to continue enjoy these fan conventions. The fact that this happened is not indicative of the people I know and meet in this community. However, we all, as a community, have an interest in it never happening again. I hope you appreciate this history as you read continued posts on this topic for your events and other events in the future.

I prefer to know whether the event is NPO, private, LLC, etc. I set my expectations accordingly. I have no problems with organizers and those signing contracts to reap the rewards of the hard work, long hours, and constant second guessing of the decisions you will make. I simply want to be given the information to make an informed decision.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Todd