 Events / BrickWorld / 84
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Anthony Sava wrote:

   The fact is the *DO* have to be upfront about it *IF* they want me to pay money to attend the event and how many MOCs they want me to bring. consider any AFOL bringing a MOC to a public event, where the public is charged admission, a ‘volunteer’, and if an organization or the operators thereof will be profiting from said event without compensating 100% of the volunteers, then the best they can hope from me is for me to show up empty handed.

I don’t think that anyone would miss me if I were not to attend an event, and I don’t expect anyone to change their views on the subject if I say I won’t go. Just my personal opinion on the subject.

--Anthony

If it takes knowing where the money goes before you volunteer, then that would be your decision to volunteer or not. Nothing wrong with that at all. What I was saying is that they are not obligated to share that information with anyone. If they do, great, some people will appreciate it. If they don’t, we should respect that, as it’s their legal right.

I wonder if this type of debate comes up for other public events? I’ve never seen a discussion like this surrounding train shows. Train shows are most definitely public events that are out to make a profit. Some shows don’t compensate layouts at all, so in effect, the people displaying a layout are volunteers. I’ve never heard anyone demand in a public forum that the train show organizers tell everyone who they are paying. It may happen, I’ve just never noticed it.

Like you say, though, this is just my personal opinion and my wondering. In the end, it’s up to each person to decide what they need or want to do. If people want to know who is getting paid, by all means ask. If you don’t get an answer, feel free to be upset, or not. We can still all build and hopefully get along.

-Elroy