 Events / BrickWorld / 59
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 04:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   If there is no difference between them, when was the last time you made a donation to Target? I shop at Target all the time and I think they provide a valuable service - but I wouldn’t give them a donation or volunteer to work a register.

So, you have a problem volunteering or attending a LEGO fest where someone might profit? I mean, until the fest is over and the monies counted, how will the organizer even know if they lose money, break-even, or profit? I bet you don’t lose any sleep over someone losing their shirt WRT a LEGO fest. And it has happened.

I think pure altruism is an awfully high bar to set for someone who would organize a LEGO fest. Financial incentive is a great way of rewarding those who would take the time to pull a fest together. But YMMV.

If you have a problem with it, don’t volunteer at any or attend any. But expecting those who organize events to account to anyone is a bit over the top in my estimation.

JOHN