 Events / BrickWorld / 68
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:05:57 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   I have no problem with attending a for-profit event as long as I know that it’s a for-profit event. I would have a problem attending an event that gave the impression of being non-profit while actually being for-profit.

How is that impression given, short of actually telling people, “we are a non-profit organization”. The logistics in creating a non-profit alone are prohibitive IMO.

Calling for volunteers does give the impression something is a non-profit, yes.

   I would not volunteer for a for-profit event. You’re right, it is asking a lot of people to organize these events without compensation. But if you don’t expect event organizers to work for free, why should volunteers?

lol, what Al said:-)

So you’re saying volunteers shouldn’t be compensated, right? I agree with you there, I just think it should apply to all volunteers involved in an event.

   Financial gain is certainly a worthy reason to put on an AFOL event. So why not be upfront about it? Don’t you think that the calls for volunteers and so forth at least give the impression that these events are not being run for profit?

Not at all. It is a non sequitur.

What kind of organizations usually call for volunteers?

   Do you think it’s a good thing for an event to act like a non-profit if it isn’t?

Maybe it would be easier for you to think of it this way: people who organize LEGO fests just hope the event will be well attended and they don’t LOSE money on the deal. If by coincidence they break even; fine. If, by good planning and perhaps a little luck they end up in the black, who cares? They took a risk, and it paid off, as it were, for them. Making a profit wasn’t the reason they organized the fest, it was a nice by-product. Perhaps you think that event organizers should spread the wealth around to their volunteers. I don’t. And volunteers don’t expect it, either. They certainly don’t expect to share in the financial burden if the event loses money, or do you think that that should be the case as well? If not, why not? In for a penny, in for a pound. Might be hard to find volunteers, however....

And that’s part of the beauty of being a volunteer-- and part of the risk of being the organizer.

And BTW, what does “acting like a non-profit” even look like? Is it simply the use of volunteers?

JOHN

FUT ot.debate to mollify Ondrew:-)

You still haven’t answered why organizers wouldn’t want to let everyone know that someone is making money off an event. If that’s a good thing - which you and I and most other people here think it is - why would you want to keep that a secret?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations