 Events / BrickWorld / 104
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 06:57:55 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, David Koudys wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

snip

   It’s not surprising that there is some confusion over the answer. You could end the confusion by making a definitive statement.

Marc Nelson Jr.

I’m with Steve H on this one--the clips you yourself have taken and compiled into your post are not contradictory and they do lay out, at least in my mind, what’s going to happen with any monies made.

I also want to further state that just by the sheer politeness and professionalism shown by the organizers in replying to these ‘questions’ that they are shoing alotta class and patience.

These ‘questions’ about money are, at least to me, a thinly veiled accusatory ‘Hey!! You’re screwing us hobbyists’ when nothing I read or see is remotely close.

Your questions have been answered, as you yourself just posted. It is clear as clear can be. Anything else would be just nitpicking for the sake of casting this show, the organizers and any who partake in the planning and execution of this event in a negative light.

To what end? I don’t know--why do you have this overwhelming need to be negative towards those that are trying to make a good show for the fans?

Did Christina get the spanish inquisition for the Brickfests? Why here, why now?

I can’t go ‘cause of finances and I’m way over here in s ontario, but if the planets were in the proper alignment, I would sooooo be there (for the most part, just to bug Steve H for a few days ‘cause he’s gotten it pretty easy as of late and not enough s. ontario people are picking on him)

All the best to the organizers and to the attendees--it sounds like a phenominal show.

Dave K

I don’t think making money from an AFOL event is tantamount to “screwing us hobbyists” - but I also don’t think it’s right to make money from an event without telling volunteers and attendees what their time, effort, and money is going towards. If everyone knows going into the event what the deal is, then there isn’t any problem at all.

I am certainly not singling out BrickWorld for scrutiny - I have asked the same question about BrickFest PDX 2007.

Unlike Bryan (who has indeed been very helpful) and those associated with BrickWorld, the BrickFest organizers have not yet provided any answer to the question. And in the case of BF, we know that at least two people made a significant amount of money from last year’s event.

I have no animus towards either of these events - I simply think that AFOLs who are thinking of attending or volunteering at them deserve to know if someone is making money off of their efforts. Equipped with that information, they can make up their own minds about what kind of event they want to support. I don’t see what could be negative about that.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations