 Events / BrickWorld / 83
Re: BrickWorld 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:49:22 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Elroy Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickworld, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

You seem to want to have it both ways. If you don’t need the money and didn’t start BrickWorld to make money, just state that any leftover funds will be refunded to attendees. If you do want to keep the proceeds from the event, just say so. That is certainly your right. I (and most people here on LUGNET) believe that it is perfectly fine for someone to make money for running an AFOL event - as long as they are upfront about it.

I don’t have any affiliation with BrickWorld. I’m not even attending, since, well, I don’t make enough profit of my own to afford the travel. The fact is, they *don’t* have to be upfront about it. It’s their business. They’ve stated that they are running it as a business. Maybe it’s as simple as they don’t know what they’ll do with any profit, if there is any. That’s a decision they can make if and when they get to that point. As a business, they are only accountable to their shareholders and the government. They certainly don’t have to tell their patrons how they spend their money. As a business, they’ve decided to ask for volunteers instead of hiring employees. That was their business decision. If they didn’t get enough volunteers, they’d have to make another business decision based on that.

And they’ve already stated a couple of times that they don’t want to discuss it in public. They gave you an answer, specifically stating that they didn’t want it public. Even if it wasn’t the answer you were looking for, you could have at least respected their wishes, and not posted their private communication, especially concerning dollar amounts.

-Elroy

The fact is the *DO* have to be upfront about it *IF* they want me to pay money to attend the event and how many MOCs they want me to bring. I consider any AFOL bringing a MOC to a public event, where the public is charged admission, a ‘volunteer’, and if an organization or the operators thereof will be profiting from said event without compensating 100% of the volunteers, then the best they can hope from me is for me to show up empty handed.

I don’t think that anyone would miss me if I were not to attend an event, and I don’t expect anyone to change their views on the subject if I say I won’t go. Just my personal opinion on the subject.

--Anthony